SOG Seal Pup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MercutioATC

Contributor
Reaction score
I have one lying around. Too big/obnoxious for diving? Most of the dive knives I've seen are a little "friendlier" looking...

It's made of AUS-6 steel so it should have decent corrosion resistance.

The edge is probably ground too thick to be very good at cutting. I can't remember for sure, it's been a while since I handled one of these. The sheath seem ok for the job. The blade is about 4", it's a little big but not too big.

I found this review on the SEAL Pup. It sounds pretty tough.

The SOG Seal Pup is a 3/4 version of the official Navy Seal Knife, which has all the attributes of its larger brother, but is more easily handled and stowed.

The SEAL knife evaluation program to select their official knife included the following tests:

Tip breaking strengths, blade breaking toughness, sharpness, and edge retention, handle twist off limits, two week salt water immersion tests, gasoline and acetylene torch resistance, chopping, hammering, prying, penetration, cutting of 6 different types of rope and nylon line, low noise and reflectivity evaluation, plus intense hands-on competition in the field.
I found the knife very impressive and it lives up to its claims. Although I have yet to use it as a hammer, it does make an acceptable pry bar when necessary.

The sheath is the most versatile knife sheath that I have ever owned. It can be mounted in any position and has a knife retention spring action built in making it impossible to shake the knife loose from the sheath, although it is easily removed with a slightly firm pull.

If you are in need of a high quality, high value, fixed blade, that isn't a "Rambo Machette', I would highly recommend the SOG Seal Pup M37.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOG Sealpup M37 specifications
Fixed blade

440A Stainless steel, 1" serration, 3" smooth, 3/4" knife trap, with dark gray powder coat finish (which looks and feels like Teflon, but I cannot verify that)

4 3/4" long, .160 thick, 9 1/8" OAL, weight 5.5 oz., 56-58 Rc, full tang

Glass reinforced Zytel handle with lanyard hole

Black Tactical Kydex belt sheath with multiple mounting points to include: boot clip, 6 round steel eyelets, 4 1" webbing slots, 2" web loop large enough for pistol belt, web loop has sliplock buckle to attach to additional web gear
:)

the local pool frowns on weapons and I haven't gotten into open water yet. It is, however the knife you describe. (and yes, the powder coating is teflon-like). I'll post something once I have a chance to try it.

and it was fine (didn't need to use it). It's not too big. The only issue I have is that it has a point and I might want to go with a blunt tip to aviod poking myself when putting it back into the sheath.

Back
Top Bottom