Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Best Sharpening Methods for Titanium Knives??

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

Best Sharpening Methods for Titanium Knives??

I own the Deep See Squeeze Lock & Big Squeeze Tanto Tipped Titanium dive knives. They need sharpening.

Any suggestions on how to best sharpen them? I usually use a tri-hone stone for my regular steel knives - no oil needed.

Also, it is my first Tanto tipped knife do you sharpen the tip as though it was its own blade? Don't want to round out the edge.

Thanks!
    DJM

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I use an "EZ Lap" bench stone. It is a plastic block with a matrix of diamond 'dust' in it. I use an old knife angle guide from Buck that I inherited from my pop-in-law.

It seems like it takes a bit of work to get the edge right, but it is worth it to have no rust problems.
    DS

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Here's a little more info;

The edge guide I use is an old Buck Honemaster; long out of production as far as I can tell, but readily available on ebay.

As for the tanto blade; I have one on my work knife and I sharpen it as if it were a separate blade. I get the main edge where I want it and then hone the front edge.

Were I to replace my work knife it'd be with a non-tanto edge since the tanto is a pain in the butt! Call me old fashioned, but a normal everyday drop point without seration is my choice, although I certainly recognize the usefulness of the partially serated blades.
    DS

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Expat Floridian travelling in the Land of Eternal Summers
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Any synthetic diamond shapening system should work fine.

Neither titanium nor steel is harder than synthetic diamond.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Thanks!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I use the same stone as my regular kitchen knives and it works great for me, i dont see why the tri-stone wouldnt work... as for the comment about rusting, Why would a titanium knife rust?

MSDT

just browsing

Illawarra.....south of Sydney australia & Balmain sydney
    Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I use a very fine 3000/1000 grain water ceramic stone from Japan for the edge, for the bevel I use a diamond 700/400 course oil stone.

I finish with a leather strap and maintain with a ceramic steel.
    The reason it rusts is it is not 100 percent titantum.

To sharpen the edge and maintain an edge you need a bevel to put the edge on.
    The harder the metal the less blade will be lost. Over time your knife will loose metal with sharpening, it has to if you wish to make it sharpe. One knife I own used to be a 15ins chefs knife, now it is a 10ins non-turned boner.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000+
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by djmccarthy View Post
    I own the Deep See Squeeze Lock & Big Squeeze Tanto Tipped Titanium dive knives. They need sharpening.
    Any suggestions on how to best sharpen them? I usually use a tri-hone stone for my regular steel knives - no oil needed.
    Thanks!
    DJM
    Sharpen them gently with the least aggressive sharpener you can find. The body of the blade is Titanium which is fairly soft, The cutting edges are Titanium Nitride. It makes a good cutting edge, but if you grind a new edge too aggressively, you can cut through that nitride layer, and the keenness of that edge will be lost forever.