What is a good dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just recently lost my dive knife which I've had for over 8 years, so don't even remember what kind it was, but now I'm looking for a replacement and wanted to get some suggestions, a good product for the price.

I do spearfish so it is used quite often on big AJ's, well that is when I don't stone them. :blinking: I also do alot of wreck dives, which always tends to have fishing line that has to be cut away.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

The best dive knife is the sharpest dive knife. I use a 8" bastard file to sharpen my dive knifes instead of a stone. This creates a lot of burrs that most people are trying to avoid when sharpening. These burrs are like a microscopic saw blade, perfect for cutting fishing line. You do not need to cut the line when it is sharpened like this, you only need to touch the line and it will part. As for the knife itself I have a 7" knife strapped to my thigh so the handle is where my hand would naturally come to rest and although it is razor sharp I use it more for prying and hammering. My other knife is a cheap folding lock blade that has a clip added so I can keep it on my harness, this is the knife I use more for cutting.

I have learn that different types of diving needs different knives. For rec/tec a simple blunt steak knife is the best however, for spearfishing, you need something that can be used as a kill knife.

The days of the rambo knife is over unless you plan to hunt for boars or dear underwater.

I'm getting this for myself soon.
MAKO Kona Kill Knife

I have moved to diving with a pair of EMT shears mounted to my BC. when I do div with a big knife I love the Wenoka's. great options in points and nice serrations. They lock into the sheath very well and they also are very flat, even in the sheath and I really l Ike that.
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SQTKSL.html

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

For spearfishing I would suggest a serrated steak knife housed in a piece of cut garden hose with an old spring phone cord as the lanyard. Cost... Could be free if not really cheap. The look from the other divers on the boat, priceless!

For spearfishing I would suggest a serrated steak knife housed in a piece of cut garden hose with an old spring phone cord as the lanyard. Cost... Could be free if not really cheap. The look from the other divers on the boat, priceless!

youu need a strong knife that you can twist. Never seen a steak knife that is strong enough for that..

youu need a strong knife that you can twist. Never seen a steak knife that is strong enough for that..

Well, I guess that depends on where you shop. I try not to waste anything... I spent 700+$$ on a knife set. After 8yrs of use it was time for a new set. Those became utility knives. Which at that quality will twist all day long... I probably could have used them for another 8yrs but chose to buy a new set made from Bainite. Like I said, depends on where you shop. I wouldn't suggest using something from the dollar store. Though you probably could find a quality steak knife at a yard sale for a dollar... I know I have in the past.

So first you say the knives should be very cheap or free and suggest tethering it with a phone cord.. why? so you have an extra entanglement hazard that is justified so that you don't lose the "free" knife.... Then you say you spend hundreds of dollars for a steak knife and that it is really good and can take abuse...then you again say we should buy a steak knife at a thrift store.

You are all over the place... If you want to use a knife to brain a fish when spearfishing, you need a strong, sharp pointy knife.

For most diving applications a steak knife will work ok, but for spearfishing, it is not the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom