Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: What is a good dive knife?

Registered

Home Sweet Home

Dives
    I'm a Fish!

What is a good dive knife?

I just recently lost my dive knife which I've had for over 8 years, so don't even remember what kind it was, but now I'm looking for a replacement and wanted to get some suggestions, a good product for the price.

I do spearfish so it is used quite often on big AJ's, well that is when I don't stone them. I also do alot of wreck dives, which always tends to have fishing line that has to be cut away.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
    Renee'

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.....It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    DiveMaster, especially when critters (or a Bond villain) are involved:

DiveMaster Divers Knife with Black Case - Overton's

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    I don't spearfish, but for wrecks you can't beat a good line cutter..
    Hollis Gear: TItanium Line Cutter

Registered

Cleverly disguised as a
    grownup

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    The best dive knife is the sharpest dive knife. I use a 8" bastard file to sharpen my dive knifes instead of a stone. This creates a lot of burrs that most people are trying to avoid when sharpening. These burrs are like a microscopic saw blade, perfect for cutting fishing line. You do not need to cut the line when it is sharpened like this, you only need to touch the line and it will part. As for the knife itself I have a 7" knife strapped to my thigh so the handle is where my hand would naturally come to rest and although it is razor sharp I use it more for prying and hammering. My other knife is a cheap folding lock blade that has a clip added so I can keep it on my harness, this is the knife I use more for cutting.
    LDS Tank Fill Rules http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bas...ill-rules.html

MARK-V DIVING HELMET 100th ANNIVERSARY 1914-2014

Learning is easy but understanding takes time.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I have learn that different types of diving needs different knives. For rec/tec a simple blunt steak knife is the best however, for spearfishing, you need something that can be used as a kill knife.

The days of the rambo knife is over unless you plan to hunt for boars or dear underwater.

I'm getting this for myself soon.
    MAKO Kona Kill Knife

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

What is a good dive knife?

I have moved to diving with a pair of EMT shears mounted to my BC. when I do div with a big knife I love the Wenoka's. great options in points and nice serrations. They lock into the sheath very well and they also are very flat, even in the sheath and I really l Ike that.
    http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SQTKSL.html

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

Registered

Bringing the creature back to
    life.

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    For spearfishing I would suggest a serrated steak knife housed in a piece of cut garden hose with an old spring phone cord as the lanyard. Cost... Could be free if not really cheap. The look from the other divers on the boat, priceless!
    Michael Burke NAUI Instructor# 53664 www.zendiving.net
    NAUI Dive Center West Palm Beach FL.
    www.facebook.com/www.zendiving.net

"I man must be balanced in his actions as to not tip the scale of fate against his favor." ~M Burke

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Diving, Inc. View Post
    For spearfishing I would suggest a serrated steak knife housed in a piece of cut garden hose with an old spring phone cord as the lanyard. Cost... Could be free if not really cheap. The look from the other divers on the boat, priceless!
    youu need a strong knife that you can twist. Never seen a steak knife that is strong enough for that..
    SCUBA Diving: The only sport where grown men will brag about how low their sac is.

Registered

Bringing the creature back to
    life.

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Quote Originally Posted by dumpsterDiver View Post
    youu need a strong knife that you can twist. Never seen a steak knife that is strong enough for that..
    Well, I guess that depends on where you shop. I try not to waste anything... I spent 700+$$ on a knife set. After 8yrs of use it was time for a new set. Those became utility knives. Which at that quality will twist all day long... I probably could have used them for another 8yrs but chose to buy a new set made from Bainite. Like I said, depends on where you shop. I wouldn't suggest using something from the dollar store. Though you probably could find a quality steak knife at a yard sale for a dollar... I know I have in the past.
    Michael Burke NAUI Instructor# 53664 www.zendiving.net
    NAUI Dive Center West Palm Beach FL.
    www.facebook.com/www.zendiving.net

"I man must be balanced in his actions as to not tip the scale of fate against his favor." ~M Burke

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    So first you say the knives should be very cheap or free and suggest tethering it with a phone cord.. why? so you have an extra entanglement hazard that is justified so that you don't lose the "free" knife.... Then you say you spend hundreds of dollars for a steak knife and that it is really good and can take abuse...then you again say we should buy a steak knife at a thrift store.

You are all over the place... If you want to use a knife to brain a fish when spearfishing, you need a strong, sharp pointy knife.

For most diving applications a steak knife will work ok, but for spearfishing, it is not the best.
    SCUBA Diving: The only sport where grown men will brag about how low their sac is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast