Dive Knife Properties - 301 vs 304 vs 316 vs 420 vs H1 vs Titanium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UaVaj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
obviously titanium is the alloy that is corrosion resistance and hold a sharp edge longest and lightest in weight.
there is also the new H-1 stainless that is almost as good as titanium.

as for the typical stainless counterparts. can an alloy expert put in order (1) the corrosion resistance to salt water and (2) holding a sharp edge. a description of each alloy would be a plus too.

thanks.

Wikepedia gives a good run down on the SS types. 316 is called marine grade and used around salt water because of its corrosion resistance.

Titanium is a weird knife material to put an edge on. When you get a fine edge, it kind of folds over, when you do the other side, it goes back and breaks off. I'm talking about when you get to razor blade thickness on the edge.

Titanium has an extremely high modulus of elasticity. That makes it really good for some things (eg vibration dampening) but only so-so for sharpness. There are way better steels based on sharpness and edge-holding.

316 then 304 then 301 then 420...least likely to rust to most likely.
I don't know the chemistry of H1 stainless.

400 series stainless has no nickel. Nickel is what makes it less likely to rust.

The H1 by spyderco is the only knife to have as far as I am concerned. Holds a sharp edge longer than any titanium knife i've come across.

The H1 by spyderco is the only knife to have as far as I am concerned. Holds a sharp edge longer than any titanium knife i've come across.

+1 for Spyderco

Holds an edge and does not rust.

I'll toss another recommendation in for the H1 steel and a spyderco. I work on a boat and my knife is exposed to salt water, oil and grease on a daily basis. Still holds up well and stays sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a reason just about every commercial diver in the Gulf of Mexico is using a spyderco. They are fantastically made. Even when my tool box was filled with 2" of salt water (my knife sitting in the bottom of it) the knife didn't rust. The blade is sharp enough to shave with and spyderco has a no bs warranty. If you break it, they replace it. The only way you'll ever have to buy another spyderco is if you lose it.

I've had titanium knifes. While they are tough as can be and they don't rust, you'll never get one sharp enough long enough to make me happy.

Don't forget the Navy's non-mag knife favorite: Copper Beryllium. Very resistant to rust (no iron). And your initial sharpening was also your last sharpening. That is, if you knew what was good for you, as BeCu dust is toxic if inhaled and a known carcinogen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom