My friend's 40th birthday~ ideas needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveO

Contributor
Reaction score
My friend's 40th birthday is coming up, and his wife and friends are stretching to think of clever ideas. He's not a diver, but he is a private pilot, a systems engineer, a pyrotechnician, and a clever tinkerer.

Any ideas? Or any good stories?! We're desperate!

I'm planning IDC for my 40th birthday in just little more than three years, but this doesn't look applicable here.

What about an OW course?

Hey, Chiara- I did consider the OW course idea, particularly since his business partner is a diver. This friend, tho, would have done it by now if he was interested. He can speak knowledgably on dive physiology and many other because he's very intelligent and enjoys knowing those kinds of minute details, but I don't think he'd enjoy diving, unfortunately. He'd be a great dive buddy!

Are you looking for real gift ideas or "your an old fart now" prank ideas?

.....a card that says, "if the whole world were to light a candle for you birthday, there would almost be enough for your cake!" My boss really loved the one I found on his 40th birthday! :wink:

His sense of humor is *way* beyond a girl in a cake. He'd probably enjoy designing and engineering the cake to exacting specifications: undercarriage, proper ventilation, optimum visual effect, etc. I was thinking it would be fun to hear what other people have given, or received, or done to/for the birthday boys.

...that should test the sense of humor...

What they did to me, among other things i might have personally participated in doing to others. In other words, i deserved everything i got.:wink:

The day of my four-O, i drove into my office to a custom made black flag on the flagpole for God & country to see. It was kinda a skull & crossbones, grim reaper motif, very effective. Moving on to our office entrance they somehow found my high school yearbook picture, blew it up to poster size (like the original size wasn't bad enough), taped it over a home made black coffin complete with cardboard "RIP Jon" tombstone. I'm really laughing now but i figure it's pretty much over. NOT! The "coup-de grace"
blow was dealt when i entered my office. My lights were covered in black craypaper, black ballons hung on black streamers from all over the ceiling and the proverbial helium party ballon pack with all those cool sayings hung from the floor .... look whose forty or lordy lordy look whose forty or over the hill, etc, etc.
It's really nice to be loved you know!:)

Black cakes made with black food coloring are easily purchased from your local bakery. For those who have never had one, they yeild a special oral cavity suprise that needs to be experienced firsthand to be appreciated.

The best prank i have participated in takes some special contacts, resources & personnel. You need a hearse and someone to play the mortician, preferably the real thing, to pull this off. The morticians ability to act with a straight face is essential. Have the hearse pull up to the victims place of work or home (the key thing is to have plenty of family, friends and/or co-workers around) and tell the "victim" they are there to pick up the "victim." If it works right the victim will stumble & stammer about how there must be a mistake, it couldn't be me, i'm still alive. If the mortician is good, which ours was excellent, he can go on about how this isn't a joke and this job is not easy you know, just give me "victim" and i'll be on my way etc, etc.

Our prank went on for almost 10 minutes & it was hilarious. It only stopped when one of the bystanders finally cracked and started laughing. As stated earlier, a creepy, good acting mortician is the key.

The best part of this prank was it was played on, and i'm not kidding here, a LDS owner. Revenge can be had & it is a dish best served cold. hehehe:devious:

*** DISCLAIMER ***
Please don't try this on anyone with heart problems, it could be hazardous to their health:eek:

On a more serious note (I love the one above), Bose makes a set of headphones specifically for pilots. They are supposed to cancel noise and hook into the cockpit radio. He might like that.

Alternatively, how about a flight lesson in something more advanced than what he normally flies? My boss is a private pilot. He got all excited when he was finally able to take his first multi-engine flight.

Back
Top Bottom