Fathoms Magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been a subsciber for several years and still enjoy the mag. Recently they changed editors over there and they have taken a bit of a preachy slant in some of their stories, but it's still decent.

OBXDIVEGUY:
I've been a subsciber for several years and still enjoy the mag. Recently they changed editors over there and they have taken a bit of a preachy slant in some of their stories, but it's still decent.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by preachy.

A couple of articles in the last few issues took on the appearance of someone pushing his cause a little too strongly. Specifically, there was a story about seal killings by a native group in Canada. It may or may not be a good cause, but the author took it a little far by trying to rally the reader with emotion instead of education and facts. The next issue had several complaints printed in the letter section.

OBXDIVEGUY:
pushing his cause a little too strongly.

I tried to warn you. :popcorn:

thanks for the suggestion. I've looked around the site a little and it looks like a pretty good publication.

I also like that OBXDIVEGUY has given me permission to only look at the pictures and ignore the reading :)

OBXDIVEGUY:
A couple of articles in the last few issues took on the appearance of someone pushing his cause a little too strongly. Specifically, there was a story about seal killings by a native group in Canada. It may or may not be a good cause, but the author took it a little far by trying to rally the reader with emotion instead of education and facts. The next issue had several complaints printed in the letter section.

Not having seen the article I can not comment on it, on the + side though I like it when they will publish letters of complaint about them selfs.
What issue was that in? I might be able to read it on line

Don't get me wrong, and try to make me out to be the bad guy for just expressing an opinion. I really do enjoy the articles and like the fact they write about something other than 101 ways to clear your mask or whatever. They have nice, long, insightful stories. I'd just prefer that political views and the such be left out. I can get those opinions elsewhere, when I'm not trying to read about diving and destinations.

The article in question was a couple of issues ago, and the letters were in the issue directly after that. They only publish quarterly so it must have been the past Spring and Summer issues.

OBXDIVEGUY:
Don't get me wrong, and try to make me out to be the bad guy for just expressing an opinion. I really do enjoy the articles and like the fact they write about something other than 101 ways to clear your mask or whatever. They have nice, long, insightful stories. I'd just prefer that political views and the such be left out. I can get those opinions elsewhere, when I'm not trying to read about diving and destinations.

The article in question was a couple of issues ago, and the letters were in the issue directly after that. They only publish quarterly so it must have been the past Spring and Summer issues.

I'm not trying to make you out the bad guy, thats me, right Roatanman :D
Its just that I have only seen the issues that are on the web and saw nothing that suggested a political view in fact I was impressed with them. So I was surprised with your post and wanted to read it then I could make up my own mind on it. Then I may agree/disagree with you.
But thanks for taking the time I will see if I can find the article

Back
Top Bottom