Thanks to my readers and supporters on my 55th birthday.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was just sitting here and saw another thanks for the "Who is Responsible" thread I started waaayyy back in 2009. I suddenly realized that every thanks I have received for this has been instrumental in me being where I am today. This was one of the first diving articles I ever wrote. Since this one first appeared there have been many that followed it. Some were related to gear but the vast majority have been dealing with topics related to safety and training.

Out of those has come a book that is now in it's second edition. Yesterday I received notice of payment to my account from Amazon US, UK, France, Canada, and HK (Hong Kong) for kindle versions of it. This morning, my birthday as it turns out, there was a notice of 18 copies of the print version sold for the month of January. This is on top of the 25 print versions sold in December. Right now there are over a thousand print and electronic versions that have been sold in 23 countries. Not bad.

From this also came, just this past fall, a contract to write a new dry suit course for SDI. It should be out very soon. Mid to end of March I believe is the plan. Today I am finishing up a contract editing the new SDI/ERDI Full Face Mask course materials. My part of it anyway. There was a lot of work and they were a little short handed and asked me to take this on. It's been a fun task and an incredible learning experience.

The point of this post is that you, the reader who encouraged me with your thanks, requests for more articles, and support over the last 5-6 years have played no small role in this. I consider it a successful start to an exciting phase of my career as a SCUBA diving educator. This realization, made possible by all of you, is one of the nicest birthday presents I could receive for my 55th birthday.

I thank you. Jim Lapenta SEI Instructor #204, SDI/TDI Instructor #16810

Congratulations. It's an honor to touch the world in a good way regarding something you care about. And happy birthday!

Richard.

Happy Birthday, Jim! Great book and thank you for all your contributions to this forum!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom