Lake Lanier Report Sat. 8-26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darelor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
JKSteger and I met at Diver's Cove in West Bank Park at about 8:45 AM. The sky was overcast and there was a cool breeze blowing. The cool air made suiting up a pleasant experience for a change.

The water level was low. I'm thinking about 15 feet at least. We were a little discouraged to see the water in the cove looking very silty. We couldn't see our fins while putting them on. We decided to follow the rocks on the East side at about 20 feet and see if the viz improved any closer to the point. At some points I couldn't see Jeremy even though we were side-by-side. A couple of times Jeremy wondered if we should just abort.

At about 60 feet shy of the point, we decided to follow the bottom toward the North to see if deeper water was any better. As we broke through 36' we were really surprised. I wish we had a camera, because nobody on here is going to believe this. Below the thermocline the viz was at least 25 feet. I have never seen viz in Lanier like this. I have heard others say that sometimes you can catch good viz, but I had no idea it could be this good.

We puttered around at the edge of a stand of trees and really enjoyed ourselves. It turned out to be a great, great dive. We could shine our lights on stuff and recognize things from 20 feet away. Jeremy saw only one small fish, and I didn't see any. I chuckled to myself when we ascended to see fishermen in boats casting into the area where we had been.

My computer says the surface temp was 82 degrees with 69 degrees the coldest at my max depth. Max depth for me was 43 feet. Both of us used our dry suits.

Jeremy needed to go back home to get ready for an important family birthday. If we had made another dive, we would have navigated from shore straight out to the buoy. Then we would have followed the bottom on a heading of about 120 to further explore the clear water.

OK, there you have it. I almost feel like saying, "Believe It or Not!"

Darel

Thanks for meeting up at the lake this morning. Honestly I didn't think that we would have a really good dive today but I really wanted to give it a try. After suiting up and getting in the water to put on our fins I was a little hesitant about going any further. I think the max viz was probably around a foot. Maybe 14 inches here and there!

This was my first dive at Lanier in the summer months. I usually dive Lanier quite often from October until around Memorial Day. I've been told since I started diving at Lanier that conditions at the lake are really bad during the summer. Well for the first 30' or so they were right!

As Darel stated above, once we hit about 35' the vis just cleared up! Were moments before I couldn't even see Darel's head...only his blue gloves...I could not only see all of him but I could see the trees behind him too. WOW! We dropped down another 5' or so and the viz really opened up good. It was like divine intervention! Someone just turned on the lights and cleared out the silt.

Darel, they're never going to believe us about the great viz we had today. I've seen it look this good in the winter before but to descend through 1' viz and have it open up to 25' or so was awesome.

Next time I will be able to stay alot longer and get in another dive.

Jeremy

My wife is going to the Georgia game this comming Sat. 9/2/06. I will have an "all day ticket" to enjoy diving at Lanier if you want to go back Darel. This time we know to surface swim to the bouy or out from the point then just drop down to 35' for some good viz.

Jeremy

The Yellow Angel Fish and I are headed up to the Loch . . .

the K

Well, all the baby showers are over with for now...I shoulod be able to make it out Saturday (9/2) hope to see you all there!

Mike

DIVING.... during THE GAME???! Now that's just going too far!

Hey, I'm a UGA alumnus and varsity letter man.

It's just a game.

I'd much rather be out doing something than sitting on my butt watching something!!!

But we all have differing philosophies on life, and I respect them . . .

. . . but I"M GONNA GET WET!!!!

the K

DawgDiver:
DIVING.... during THE GAME???! Now that's just going too far!

It's not like they're playing Auburn.

I'll be there in spirit tho..... Gotta work.

Game? What game? :)

Mike

i have a big screen tv 10 minutes from the dam for after the dive byob and wings. Have a new virgin bc that needs breaking in so im going to try to make it, let me know if a dive is going on.

Back
Top Bottom