Lake Lanier Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShallowDiverDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have some specific questions and am very curious because I'm about 10 mins from the lake.

Where exactly is the best place to dive at lake lanier?
What are the depths at this location?
When in the Spring does it warm up enough for a 5 mm? 3 mm?

thanks folks!

I don't know if the "best" place but I've always dove either at Lower Overlook or West Bank Park. Both are over at the dam. At West Bank Park I've hit 85' but I could have went deeper and at Lower Overlook I've hit over 100', again could have gone deeper.
Temps are such a personal thing that I couldn't really tell you when the lake would be warm enough for a 5mm or 3mm. Since last March I have only dove Lanier in a drysuit. Below the 2nd thermocline it will always be cold...somewhere in the 40's I would say. If you stay shallow you probably could get away with a 5mm by late April and a 3mm by early June. Remember, it take the water a little longer to warm up than air and also in the fall the water will not cool down as quickly either.

Jeremy

i dove it all summer,in a 3mill suit,im very warmblooded,still got pretty cool around50 ft,high 50s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom