New diver, want experienced buddy to dive lake lanier soon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianwhite

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey yall!

I just got certified in february and have dreaded every moment out of the water. Im so ready to get back into the water but cannot afford a florida trip! So ive set my sights on something a little closer to home. I would like to dive lake lanier sometime soon, and would love to go with somebody who has dove there many times.

anybody up to showing the newbie lake lanier?

Thanks!

I will give you the grand tour,I am waiting for the water to warm up some more,it should be good in a few weeks. The last report was 42 degrees,too cold for me,but with this weather it should be warming up quickly. What thermal protection do you have? For me this time of year I wear a 7mm semi dry with hood,5mm boots and gloves.

great! i have a 5mm wetsuit, and havent purchased a hood or gloves yet. I just havent gotten around to going to the dive shop. Any reccomendation on the gloves?

I have some no name gloves I got off Ebay,I think most any would do,Pinnacle products are highly rated.

Mark, let me know when your headed up to Lanier again. The days are getting nice to dive in the lake but the water is still going to be COLD. I would love to dive it too. I will be wearing my drysuit though. Bottom temps are still really cold and I've only got a drysuit then a 3/2 mil. So dry for me!

J:

It sounds like we need to get a dive and dine going. The weekend after next I will be free,tanks are filled,all equipment is checked out and ready to go.

It's still extremely cold. I dove it on Saturday and Lower Overlook was 43/42 degrees throughout. Mask Cove (west bank park) Had 4 different thermoclines, the warmest being between 0 and about 38 feet (54 degrees). A 5mm will definitely not cut it currently, you are probably looking at another month for it to be bearable in a 5mm. I was wearing a 7mm with 5/3 hooded vest and 5mm boots and 7mm coldwater mitts and still became cold. I will post the dive report later tonight.

hmmm... Perhaps i could rent a 7 mil from somewhere. Just to clarify do you mean next weekend or 2 from now? (i have to request weekends off in advance)

AMen to that, DivingInn!!!
It's been waaaaaay too long.

On that note, I'd like to get the flock together and maybe do an overnighter up at Loch-Low-Minn.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom