Lake Lanier Dive report(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TonyW388

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went diving today with Krawlings at WBP. We got a late start thanks to me and a series of issues that just continued into our diving.:shakehead:

We had planned to make the dive down to the wood pile and platform but we never made it. I decide to turn the dive early today because of my trim issues and some silt that I collected in my mask after dropping it in the water putting my fins on.:confused: I even tried rubbing my eyes :dork2: and flooding my mask a few times but it was no help. I could not get the trash out. The last time I removed/flooded my mask I got my hood caught in the mask skirt just enough to make an annoying leak. So I turned the dive.:depressed:

We came up to 15 feet and did our ss. I then shot my safety sausage for fun. We slowly wondered back to the shore and came up for a brief surface interval.

Dive 1

depth - 60'
time -52 minutes
Temp @ 60' 48o Vis was 15'+with no light
Temp @ 40' 50o Same as above
Temp @ 25' 5'o Vis was 5'+
Temp @ 15' 65o Vis was 3'+

Surface Temp was 88 degrees and sunny
Surface interval of 16 mins

We decide to go and burn the rest of the tank and do some skills and drills. On the way out to our destination I found my first piece of treasure. A coin! I am now 25 cents richer than I was when we started diving today. Ken shot his safety sausage and I finally found most of my trim I had been so badly been missing on the previous dive.:popcorn:
Krawlings found a few lures in the rocks on our return back to the shore.

Dive 2

Depth - 20'
Time - 22 minutes
Temp @20' was 65o Vis was 3-5'

surface temp was still 88o and sunny

I had to leave early to be home to take the wife out. So we took our new treasure back to the car and dismantled our dive gear. I rushed off without our normal dive debrief. Then I check my phone!:shakehead: My wife knew of all the complications I had been having to get to go dive today and she decided I could stay longer!:shocked2: Only, we had just took off all our gear and packed it away.:depressed: So, I got to go home and do some painting on our formal dining room(yippy, that made the ending to my day great). I hope tomorrow is a better day! :mooner: It was not bad but it could have been better. :popcorn:

We live to dive better days!:eyebrow:

Diving Sunday A.M. about 9:20- If you need a tank of air or nitrox let me know
I will recheck the forums @ 11:00P.M. Atlanta time-
Thanks, skierch

Does any one have any new water temp. updates for the lake Tony_webb and myself are going to get in a couple dives this Sunday .

The day started with a thick eerie layer of fog. I loaded Freddie Ford down with tanks and gear and hit the road. The plan was to be at WBP by 8 am. I had to make one stop at the kwik E mart for ice and coffee then I was on my way.

I arrive at the park a little early to the fog lifting off the lake. The sky was still a light grey with the sun hidden behind the trees. Krawlings had already arrived and was setting up his gear. We shot the bull and discussed the dive plans for the first dive as we were getting suited up.(It takes forever for me to pry my suit open enough to get in it.):rofl3:

We had planned on going out and finding the lines we had discover a few weeks ago and follow them to some possible locations (wood pile and 85' platform) we had heard about! However, I over shot the depth and area of the lines. We finally located one of the lines and turned to follow it into deeper water. We passed a few beer cans and golf balls on our journey(I always like mixing beer and golf! It seems to enhance my game!:cool2:) We finally found a platform in about 40' of water:shocked2:(not the one at 80+')! We followed a line off the platform to a rather large rock pile(looked very out of place)! We followed the line over the rock pile until we came to a dead end. This was not the line we were looking for but we found something other than the usual sticks and silt to look at!:D

Dive 1

max depth- 52'
time- 56 min
Vis- 10-25' of depth was 3-5'
-30-52' of depth was 10-15'
Water Temp-10-25' of depth was 75-69o
-30-52' of depth was 68-48o

We surfaced to the fog lifted off the lake and the warm sun shinning down upon us. The animals were scurrying all about! Birds were singing in chorus all around. We took a longer surface interval to chat with some people passing by us,they were curious as to what we see and do down there. We found a fellow diver and his pupil getting ready to hit the water as we were gearing down. We also noticed a dive boat with people looking forward to splashing just outside of the cove.

Dive two! We had planned to do a search for the other set of lines and the 24' platform. Well that did not go so well. I should have been heading in a N.E. direction from the start and realized I had deviated well to the North of the intended target. Once I realized the error of my misguided ways I decided to run perpendicular angles of my original direction. Not realizing I need to correct for my original deviation in direction and distance that made me come up just short of the lines.:idk:

We did find a huge freshwater clam. It was approx. 4" long and 3" wide(avg size seen is a quarter to half dollar in size). The largest I have ever seen in the local lakes! We visited the edge of the tree line but did not enter because we were towing the dive flag with us.

Dive 2

max depth- 54'
time- 52 min
-30-52' of depth was 10-15'
-30-54' of depth was 68-48o

We took another long surface interval for lunch and some more chatter. The other divers were all packing up to call it a day. We decided to stick it out for a little while longer. So we did dive number three. Krawlings took the helm on this dive and I towed the flag for us.

The plan was to navigate the point in an eastern direction and see what was hidden on the other side of the cove jetty. Krawlings found the lines I kept coming up short on. We bypassed them to find out what the terrain was like on the other side of the jetty(swim/beach side). We found a few tree stumps and more silty mud. We found a really large frog fishing lure. What where they trying to catch basszilla?:rofl3: We laid the massive rubber frog on a tiny limb and left him for our friends to find. Krawlings lead us back to the small platform and up the center of the cove for a great dive to end.

Dive 3

max depth- 50'
time- 45 min
-30-50' of depth was 10-15'
-30-50' of depth was 68-51o

When we exited the water the calmness of earlier had ceased and now was filled with laughter and noisy cars. Nature had gone into hiding as the people had now came out to play. We decide that our last dive would be a great way to end this day at the park! So we packed up our gear and did our dive debrief. We said, "Our good byes" at least until our next dives.:D:wink:

Last edited:
Tony,

Nice report. For the first 30' vis is horrible isn't it? It sounds like you found the platform at 50' and followed the line to the slate area which also had some ski-line running all over the place. If you had followed the rocky edge East from the platform you would have hit an antifreeze jug with lines running off of it. One leads to the woodpile the other leads to the 85' platform I believe. In any event we will have to dive it together soon. I am surprised that there were that many other divers in the area as well.

Nice report.
Thanks
For the first 30' vis is horrible isn't it?
It was pretty bad! I have seen worse once at another lake but it was caused by some other divers and me:shakehead:
It sounds like you found the platform at 50' and followed the line to the slate area which also had some ski-line running all over the place.
I think you are right. Trying to recall the days dives late at night started out great but I almost put myself to sleep!:sleeping2: Yeah, that was a lot of useless rope that looked like it was trying to float to the surface. Someone else mention removing it which I think would be a good idea.
In any event we will have to dive it together soon.
Sounds good!

Tony great report. You beat me to it .
Thanks and Sorry! I will let you get the next one!
I would not have been so colorful ,I would have been booooring THAT WAS 3 GREAT DIVES
Did you say colorful?:shocked2: Check it out, I made it more colorful for you!:rofl3: Sorry, I guess I should keep my day job!:wink: That was three very nice dives. Thanks!:D

I will be out of town this weekend, otherwise I would love to go diving in Lanier.....

I will be out of town this weekend, otherwise I would love to go diving in Lanier.....

I am going camping this weekend, so I will be MIA too. I am going to investigate another state park close to my house to see if they will allow diving there!:D I sure hope they do, because it is only 10 minutes from my house!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom