New Lanier Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snuff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I live in Monticello, and have been diving for 3 years. I did my checkouts for my Rescue SCUBA Diver at the WB of Lanier back in the spring. I am interested in diving Lanier more, but I am hesitant to just jump in the water and start blowing bubbles. Does anyone host any formal functions for folks who are new to Lanier, or would anyone be willing to take a new guy along? Its not that I'm new to diving, I just don't want to waste my time hitting the wrong spots. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Snuff,

Welcome to the Looney Birds. Typically we Dive Lanier out of west bank park. There are 2 main dive areas which are commonly used by divers. One is referred to here

The dive community here is more scattered than it used to be so I would simply watch this forum for new posts and I am sure some people may PM you when they are going to dive lanier.

There isn't much to see in Lanier, mainly mud and sticks and beer cans; the seldom seen fish as well. Right now Lake Jocassee is prime for diving as it is 2 hours away and the Devil's Fork state park has a dive park within it for easy access to shorediving. Check this thread for info on diving Jocassee. There is also a dive shop that does boat dives on Lake Jocassee for a good price: Off-the-Wall

I am new to diving in Lanier as well. I'm tentatively looking to try and go with a partner on Friday, 9/10/10. I am in a similar situation as Snuff; been certified since 2007, but am a casual diver. I have about 20-30 logged dives & lived in Cumming since '98, but haven't done Lanier yet.

Am kind of hesitant too since it doesn't seem like the visibility is that great, but I'm always up for a new challenge. :wink: Besides, it seems like the closest & cheapest place for a local to still get some diving in so I don't get rusty at it. Beggars can't be choosy, right? I figured I will accomplish 2 goals for the first time here too; dive in a lake and do diving from a shore.

Most likely we are probably gonna try to go from the west bank since that appears to be the prime spot for diving from what I have read here. The person I am going with is a little more experienced & said they will probably do Nitrox. I am not certified in Nitrox so will just do regular diving.

Any other tips or pointers regarding this section of the lake would be great.

I am new to diving in Lanier as well. I'm tentatively looking to try and go with a partner on Friday, 9/10/10. I am in a similar situation as Snuff; been certified since 2007, but am a casual diver. I have about 20-30 logged dives & lived in Cumming since '98, but haven't done Lanier yet.

Am kind of hesitant too since it doesn't seem like the visibility is that great, but I'm always up for a new challenge. :wink: Besides, it seems like the closest & cheapest place for a local to still get some diving in so I don't get rusty at it. Beggars can't be choosy, right? I figured I will accomplish 2 goals for the first time here too; dive in a lake and do diving from a shore.

Most likely we are probably gonna try to go from the west bank since that appears to be the prime spot for diving from what I have read here. The person I am going with is a little more experienced & said they will probably do Nitrox. I am not certified in Nitrox so will just do regular diving.

Any other tips or pointers regarding this section of the lake would be great.

Make sure you have a dive light, a compass, and a knife. Keep an eye on your air supply and make sure one of you brings a dive flag to let boats know you are diving in the water. depending on what depth you go to, plan on loosing your buddy due to poor visibility (it happens all the time in Lanier) and make sure you discuss a buddy separation plan before the dive.

If you dive in the cove where the link is posted above you will run into dive lines that will take you to what interesting things there are to see in Lanier. If you plan on going to 50 feet or deeper I advise a 7mm wetsuit. If you stay between 30 feet and the surface you will be fine with no wetsuit.

Yea, we have the dive flag thing covered. I also actually have a dive knife as well so will definitely bring that. Good suggestion on the dive light too. And good advice on the separation plan. I can see that easily happening down there.

I would like to go to 50ft if possible so will plan to get a westsuit as well. While my partner has more experience than I do, they have not dove Lanier either so I guess it will be a learning experience for both of us.

i'm thinkin real hard about hitting cocktail cove this week. u never know what u might find there after labor day weekend, at least a couple pairs oakley's!

i couldn't get my **** up to go solo! my dad @ 69 on the boat just didn't make me all warm and fuzzy so my dive buddy (my 11 year old son) is gonna ride with me saturday morning bout dawn. i guess i'm gettin...old.

Let me know when you want to do some dives,right now is prime time on the lake. All the summer traffic is dying down and the temps will stay decent until about thanksgiving. I usually go out about twice a month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom