Lanier dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beowulfe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So what all is there to dive in Lanier? I know there's not spots like in quarries and such that have been purposely put there but what about any of the things that were there before the lake flooded the area: old houses, cemeteries, etc.

Beowulfe,

Welcome to the board. This has been covered previously by others years ago; but specifically all the main structures and homes were demolished or relocated. There is the occasional sunk boat and lots of trees to see in Lanier. There is nothing spectacular as it cold at depth and visibility is often poor. Visibility is its best in Jan/Feb/Mar but Lanier is really cold and best suited for dry-suit diving. I dive at West Bank Park when I dive in Lanier, there are 2 diver-friendly coves.

By the way where are you a project manager at?

Thanks. I figured there wasn't much in the way to look at but any chance to blow bubbles and I am right up the street from the lake. Have any dive clubs tried to get the official permission to do some dive sites? Nothing elaborate but fish havens.

I work for HP. Where are you a support engineer?

Iffen you go up 6 Mile Creek there are the remains of an old dariy milking parlor that can be found. The milking stanchions are still in place and there are the remnants of an old rock out-building not far away - looks like an old butter house or something like that.

But, for the most part, what mofo said is pretty much on target. Every now and then you can find some old brick, dang I forget the name, things that houses are set upon.

There was one structure that was made of rock, a house, that when the lake was impounded was not moved, if my investigations are correct. I've never been able to put it to a plat or plot to determine any GPS coordinates - if I could that would be a GREAT dive.

Anyway, make your own adventures in our cold and murky pond . . .

And by the way, WELCOME!!!! to ScubaBoard.

the K

Thanks. I figured there wasn't much in the way to look at but any chance to blow bubbles and I am right up the street from the lake. Have any dive clubs tried to get the official permission to do some dive sites? Nothing elaborate but fish havens.

I work for HP. Where are you a support engineer?

The Corp of Engineers has been reluctant to sanction a Dive park on the lake. Some individuals have taken liberty of creating our own sort of dive park by means of small platforms and lines leading to structure in lanier.

I work for EMC.

Iffen you go up 6 Mile Creek there are the remains of an old dariy milking parlor that can be found. The milking stanchions are still in place and there are the remnants of an old rock out-building not far away - looks like an old butter house or something like that.

But, for the most part, what mofo said is pretty much on target. Every now and then you can find some old brick, dang I forget the name, things that houses are set upon.

There was one structure that was made of rock, a house, that when the lake was impounded was not moved, if my investigations are correct. I've never been able to put it to a plat or plot to determine any GPS coordinates - if I could that would be a GREAT dive.

Anyway, make your own adventures in our cold and murky pond . . .

And by the way, WELCOME!!!! to ScubaBoard.

the K

Are you up for launching an expedition to attempt to locate it and mark it so we can dive it, because I most certainly am!!!

Last edited:
:popcorn:

20' center console with gps. Are we there yet?

Back
Top Bottom