Curacao Shore Diving - Different than Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering Bonaire or Curacao for our dive trip this year. From what little I've found about shore diving on Curacao it sounds like it's done somewhat differently than on Bonaire. On Bonaire there are many marked spots where there is nothing but a small beach where you park and dive.

In Curacao many of the sites listed on Shorediving.com are from the beach of some hotel or other facility that charges an entry fee for diving.

Is this accurate? Are most of the sites free or do they charge a fee?

The main reason I'm leaning toward Curacao is that it seems to be easier to get to.

I am headed to Curacao for the 1st time in March. From what I have read, the shore dives that have facility's charge about $2 for entry. That seems like a very reasonable fee for an area that has a restroom, snack bar, shower, pier, rinse tank, etc.. I imagine these sites are less susceptible to theft and or vandalism too.

We dove Curacao in July 05 as a change to Bonaire and the airlines were such a mess at the time. I still prefer Bonaire but Curacao is a not to distant second. There are places you can just park and dive like Bonaire but I found I prefered the pay places. I was somewhat put off by the idea of paying before I got there but after the diving the first spot I totally changed my mind. The cost is mimimal, in the $2-3US range. For that you can dive all day (your tanks or you can rent on site) and you have access to restrooms, rinse tanks, restaruants, shade and a nice secure spot to park. One place even included a coke in the price of admission. Possibly a down side for some is that these are also swimming beaches used by the locals and tourist. In out experience 99% of the people there were swimmers/snorklers. We did not find this to be a problem but you don't have the place to yourself like most Bonaire spots. Working your way in through the swimmers was interesting but still not a big deal. We would load up the truck with 4 tanks each and go in the morning. Dive 2 hang out on the beach, eat at the restaurant and do a couple more after lunch. The restaurant were pretty good and reasonable in cost.
The only real down side we found with Curacao is it's relative size as compaired to Bonaire. Dive sites are 25 minutes from town, or you are 25 minutes from town if you stay at some of the dive resorts. Give Curacao a try. We still love the small size of Bonaire but we were also pleased with our trip to Curacao.

We went to Curacao in August for a week. Stayed at Sunset Waters and dove with Sunset Divers. They offer great boat trips and the shore diving is a walk into the surf in front of the resort. I've been to Bonaire and I think the diving in Curacao rocks!

Looks like we may be diving in Cuacao this April, althought that's not certain yet. Had planned for Bonaire, but the transportation there is harder to set up for a gruop than Curacao. Any "must see" or "avoid at all costs" sights/operators? Any tips are apreciated.

Put Cas Abo and Porta Maria on your list of spots to dive, nice places. They cost around $2 to get in but are worth it. You can take tanks or rent there. The Queen Emma bridge is pretty neat. The aquarium is OK, for me it's a been there done that kind of thing. If I were with someone who had never been I would go back but I would not go just for myself. We found plenty of good places to eat. If they are handing out the gift bags at the airport BE SURE to get one. They have some useful stuff in them including a really nice restaurant guide.
It's a little bit of a pita but you can fly to Curaco and catch one of seveal commuter flights to Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom