British Virgin Is. (Tortola) and Saba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joewr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are heading for Tortola and Saba in May/June and wanted any suggstions about dive shops people could offer. In particular, on Tortola--has anyone ever dived with the UBS Dive Center?

Thanks,

Joewr

Hi joewr,

You're correct not to worry about dive ops on Saba as all 3 are quite good. Saba Deep is, however, my fav.

On Tortola, I have enjoyed both Blue Water Divers & Baskin'in the Sun, both in Road Town. Have not seen UBS, which is over in Fat Hog's Bay.

Have a great time.

DocVikingo

Joe,
I have been working with Baskin in the Sun on the February group trip.
I really like them, and feel confident in using them.
We're staying at Prospect Reef Resort.
:sunny:

I've also used Blue Water Divers on Tortola and were very happy with them. Tortola is a beautiful island... have a blast! Casey

Hey, Casey, you must be reading my mind: we signed up with Blue Water Diver for ca. half our dives and with UBS for the other half. This choice was based on some comments we got locally.

We are really looking forward to going--this trip will include USVI, Saba, and BVI--and are trying to keep focused on business during May--but we keep thinking about those tropics and that warm, clear, blue water. It does not help that the weather in Northern California this winter and spring were not the best...

Thanks again--we will file the usual report upon our return--and if Marty is reading this, thanks for suggesting Saba!

Joewr

Haven't been to Tortola in a number of years so I'm really looking forward to your report. I LOVE Tortola and had very serious thoughts of making that my "island home" before I moved to Grand Cayman. And I've heard great things about Saba and the awesome pinnacles but haven't been there yet. Have a great time! I'm jealous! Casey

Joe:

As "locals", my wife & I regularly dive the BVI's, Saba, and throughout the eastern caribbean.Baskin is a great operation as is Dive BVI. Blue Water is relatively new. The dive sites around the US & British Vrigins are typical caribbean reefs with max depths of around 80 - 90 ft. Saba is where you go for deeper diving. Great pinicals which start around 60 ft. and go way down. Saba Deep is a quality family run outfit. Sea Saba is also good. The others are all of recent vintage, or new operators who boughtout an established shop, use caution. Saba diving is unique. You leave from the small port facility and zip around the west corner of the island to the dive sites. None more then 15 min. away. You then do one tank, and return to the harbor. Relax at the "INN TOO DEEP" (run by Saba Deep), and zip out to another dive,come back in have lunch, and do an afternoon dive. There are no real beaches on Saba, and not much else to do except dive. Nite dives are usually at ladder bay, and are quite nice. Saba is one of our favorite places. Flying in is an experience--like landing on an aircraft carrier.

In Tortola, be sure to dive the wreck of the Rohn. It's world class. Went down around 1865. Nite dives on the Rohn shouldn't be missed. Try to get to Virgin Gorda. There's a nice wreck off to the northwest. In St. Thomas, try Chris Sawyer's Dive Center.

Maybe will get a chance to meet, I dive with Chris Sawyer on weekends reqularly.

JeffW

Jeff,

Thanks! On Saba we are, in fact, diving with Saba Deep--thanks, in part, to advice from members of this Board. Sounds absolutely great.

Now, as to St. Thomas, would you believe that Barbara and I both got our C-cards with Chris Sawyer? And, we are diving with him again on this trip. We really like Red Hook--and the Texas Barbeque "trailer" across from Chris' shop; I hope is it still there! Our only weekend dive with CS is Sunday, June 3. So, if you are there, look for two really happy people who just cannot wait to get wet!

We will end our trip with a two-week stint on Tortola and will try to go to Virgin Gorda--always wanted to meet a fat virgin! And we are scheduled to dive the Rhone--as you suggest, one morning dive and one night dive. We never dove it from St. Thomas because the boat ride was a bit far and we planned to return and do it from the BVI!

Joewr

Originally posted by joewr
We are heading for Tortola and Saba in May/June and wanted any suggstions about dive shops people could offer. In particular, on Tortola--has anyone ever dived with the UBS Dive Center?

Thanks,

Joewr

Joe,
My newly certified daughter and another couple are going to Tortola July 10th. We picked Baskin in the Sun as an operator and Prospect Reef resort as a place to stay. Baskin was rated in the top 10 dive operators world wide by Rodale's Scuba Dive Magazine survey! We originally wanted to go to Bequia but flights are messed up in & out of there plus schedules don't mesh with their ferry runs from St.
Vincent. Really looks like a super laid-back place though. Maybe we can work on it for next year.
I saw you are a retired investor - got any tips??
Have a great trip>>> Benjie
ps my 1st name is Joe also!

I was just in Tortolla and St. John (dive same sites as out of Red Hook on St. Thomas)in January/February. Also was on Saba the year before. All the info you've recieved is accurate to my knowledge.

I'd have responded sooner, but just got back from 4 weeks in the upper FL keys and a week on Bimini in the Bahamas.

Your trip sounds super....enjoy!

Marty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom