St Croix USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are on our way to St Croix in December (11th-22nd). The Buccaneer looks like a nice hotel ( I hope) and I think one or two dive shops run boats from the hotel. Does anyone have information on good dive sites, best dive boats and things we must do. My wife and have a few dives logged (wife 12 boat, and I have 12 boat and 10 quarry) and would like to start the trip on the easy side. Thanks in advance for your help. We also will be playing some golf on the island.

There aren't any boats at the Buccaneer proper. There are however, several scuba shops that can arrange transport for you to their boats in Christiansted which is about a five minute drive from your hotel.
I don't know how many days you'll want to dive, but I would suggest diving a day or two with St Croix Ultimate Blue Water Adventures and/or a day or two diving around the west end of the Island from Frederiksted with N2The Blue. You'll probably also want to spend a day sailing to Buck Island where you can only snorkel. I like going there with Big Beards if I'm not going on a private boat. You can find some more information on things to do at Visit St. Croix. Have fun, and don't forget your sunscreen! :14:

Mayor:
My wife and I are on our way to St Croix in December (11th-22nd). The Buccaneer looks like a nice hotel ( I hope) and I think one or two dive shops run boats from the hotel. Does anyone have information on good dive sites, best dive boats and things we must do. My wife and have a few dives logged (wife 12 boat, and I have 12 boat and 10 quarry) and would like to start the trip on the easy side. Thanks in advance for your help. We also will be playing some golf on the island.

I would skip the boats and go right to Cane Bay. There is a shop there you can beach dive the wall! This was on of my favs for my 2 weeks I spent there. Just keep your head about you this is a REAL wall that bottpms out over 3000 feet.

Don't forget to dive the Fredericksted pier. Do it as a night dive or a day dive or both. It's a very relaxing dive at no deeper than 40 fsw but you will see many, many scorpion fish, sea horse, and tons of other stuff. Don't forget to bring a light.
We went with Scuba Shack http://www.stcroixscubashack.com/
Excellent operation.

If you're going to do Fredericksted pier as a night dive, take a gun and don't leave anything onshore.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
If you're going to do Fredericksted pier as a night dive, take a gun and don't leave anything onshore.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Sad but true :(

The pier may not be the best dive since it's being dredged and has been for several months.

I just did a dive on the pier a couple of days ago (Monday morning to be exact). This was clearly after it was dredged. Still a very good dive.
Concerning the security: If you do it with a dive shop, you don't have to worry about leaving your stuff unattended.

In any case, I personally did enjoy diving the pier very much. I still think it's a great dive.

Ya gotta dive the cane bay wall. Try it early early in the morning and go deep if ya wanna see lotsa sharks reef sharks, nurse, lemon, even the occasional bull shark!!

Thanks for all the information. Sounds like I need to use a few shops to see the island. As for the crime on the island, I will always dive with a shop so we should be fine. We have been to St Thomas and St John and never had any problems with anyone. Sounds like St Croix has some problems. Any information on the Hotel?

Back
Top Bottom