Bonaire or Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Titletowndiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:confused: I'm getting ready to plan a trip to either Bonaire or Curacao and I'm very undecided on which. The flight to Curacao is significantly cheaper (about $300 for the pair) but other than that everything else seems relatively comparable price wise (hotels and dive packages. Our plan is (regardless which island we end up on) is too dump the boat dives, and just rent a truck. Is the diving in Curacao as good? What are the major differences in the nightlife between the two? Are food/restaurant/drink prices comparable?

Thanks in advance for any help, comments, or suggestions!!

=-)

First, welcome to the board. I have not been to Curacao but have spent a lot of time on Bonaire. From what I understand (and this includes the opinion of Bonaire locals) the diving is not as good on Curacao as it it on Bonaire. I suspect the food and hotels are about the same price. From what I have been told, the hotels that are actually on the water and at good dives sites (Capt Dons and Lions Dive are 2 I know about on Curacao, they also have places on Bonaire) are also a long way from town so you either have to eat at the resorts or drive a ways into town. If you are looking for a lot of nightlife above water, then Curacao may be more to your liking. If what you want is great, easy diving with plenty of restaurants close by, them Bonaire. I go to dive/eat/dive/sleep so I like Bonaire. If you have not already, go over to the Bonaire board www.bonairetalk.com and ask around over there. Granted, the folks there are Bonaire lovers but you can get some good advice. We stay at Buddy Dive on Bonaire www.buddydive.com . Look at the "dive and drive" package, it includes a full condo(kitchen with frig/microwave/stove)/breakfast/rental truck/unlimited shore diving for one price. We drop the boat dive which save us $100pp.

Shore diving on Curacao is great. Along the road there are markers for shore diving spots all along. In fact most shore dives are same spots as boat dives. Short swim from shore and there's the reef and dropoff. Personally I'm partial to Curacao.

devilfish once bubbled...
Shore diving on Curacao is great. Along the road there are markers for shore diving spots all along. In fact most shore dives are same spots as boat dives. Short swim from shore and there's the reef and dropoff. Personally I'm partial to Curacao.

same thing on Bonaire. Minus the higher crime (yes, Bonaire has some crime...but it's of the non-violent variety), traffic, crowds, etc.

If you want a laid back atmosphere...go to Bonaire. If you want more night life, and the opportunity to visit larger cities, with all they entail, go to Curacao.

Hi
I did a house exchage and spent 3+ weeks living on Curacao this past August. It is a very pleasant island, and an extremely engaging place to visit. The comments above about crime should be taken in context - Curacao has always been a transfer point to and from South America - from 1503 to about 1900 it was slaves, for most the the last century it was oil (Venezuelan oil was refined on Curacao - one of the most important refineries in the world in WWII) and in the recent past, it has been for drugs. The drug trade accounts for almost all the crime and all of the murders - if you are not involved, you don't even notice it. Downtown Willemstad has almost no street people, and is a very safe place. I would not let crime worries send you elsewhere.

I am not at all interested in night clubs, but still found a lot of interesting things to do in the area. Shopping is extremely good for certain things - and I don't think you can find lower prices on Dive Watches anywhere!! I bought one there (Citizen), and found it to be lower than any internet price anywhere.

The diving on Curacao is not only superb, it is dead easy. You can almost go anywhere and find a reef needing exploring. We had use of a good size boat, but didn't need to bother for most dives.

We did some dives on our own, but ended up doing most of them with some really fine people we met through Eric Wederfoort's school. Eric Wederfoort is a living legend - he has done more dives than you can imagine (he is probably about 60 and has been teaching diving all his life - and still does a minimum of 3 dives a day - you do the math - I lost count over 50,000 dives)

He has many protoges, and we were lucky enough to meet some and end up going diving with them. They took us to a lot of unusual places, and we had so much fun, it now seems like a dream.

One day a dozen or so of us went to the huge deep water dock at Caracasbai - there was an enormous cable laying ship in dock, and our dive that day was to go under, around and see what it was like. A propeller the size of a house, seen from 60 feet under, through crystal clear water teeming with fish is not an everyday sight.

The sea life there is fantastic - we saw turtles on 90% of our dives - a really interesting array of small and large shrimp and other invertebrates - bizarre looking things - night dives with TONS of cowfish - schools of squid of all sizes - huge long lists of fish - and then there are the sponges and corals - mind boggling fields of the most unusual shapes and sizes. Your entire field of vision was filled with shapes, textures and colours that seemed to be from outer space. Really good wreck dives - some deep, some only 8 feet deep. I could go on and on.

And the amazing part is, these things are everywhere off the south shore - and even when we went to a beach that supposedly was NOT a dive site, there were dive sites galore - impossible to get bored in the water there.

The temperature of the water was REALLY warm - 85 to 88 degrees on the surface, no lower than 83 deg at the bottom. I gave up wearing a suit except for surf entries (just for protection) - I ended up not even bothering with a t-shirt - what a difference compared to home (west coast of Canada).

Air temperature is very hot - and humid - 38 deg C most days, 80 % humidity plus - I found it a bit too hot. I was there in July/August, but it doesn't change much year round. It is even hot in the middle of the night. Despite the humidity, the island is quite barren with scrubby trees and cacti as the natural vegetation - palm trees exist only with irrigation.

I haven't been to Bonaire - and if it is better than Curacao, it must be amazing.

I would go back in a heartbeat. After 3+ weeks, we felt like we were only getting started.

If you go, do look up Wederfoort's school - well worth it. There are lots of other very good operations as well - but just getting to meet Eric is worth the trip.

Cheers
John

John-

Thanks so much for the input! Although now I'm more torn than ever LOL! I think the final decision is going to come down to money - being that they both sound so comparable.

Thanks again!

:D

I got Air Jamaica round trip for 2 (from Atlanta) and a week at Happy Holiday Homes with unlimited shore diving (truck included)on Bonaire for $1900.

My wife and I recently returned from both Bonaire and Curacao, and I must say that both of us enjoyed Bonaire more than the latter. We found Bonaire to be more laid back and relaxing (and yet there was plenty to do at night beside diving). Also the diving was better in Bonaire with better coral, more sea life, and no trash (aside from the Town Pier).

I had my next dive vacation down to two areas: Bonaire or Thailand (Similian Islands for a liveaboard). Now, with all the great reports on Curacao, I am forced to reconsider!

Time to research Curacao! :)

Thanks for all the great info.

Thanks,
Red Rover

Back
Top Bottom