St Thomas Dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgvmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So we dove in St Thomas and had a great time.

I called the admiralty dive center http://www.admiraltydive.com/ and scheduled my 2 sons and I for 3 dives. I let them know we are relatively new divers and that I would be bringing new gear I need to take time checking out.

The night before we arrived at St. Thomas, my older son developed an ear infection. I called the dive center the night before to let them know only 2 of us would be diving, they thanked me for calling.

When my son and I arrived at the pier, the boar pulled it, the owner, the boat operator, and the DM. It turns out we were the only passengers. They told us we would be doing one dive on Kennedy barge wreck, then pick up other divers at one of the local hotels.

This day the wind was pretty steady and the boat was bouncing some, my son felt ill , but the DM cooled him off with a hose and talked him to get his mind off his queeziness. The crew rigged all the equipment, including my yet un-used bp/w. I talked with the DM that I needed time to configure my new equip in the water he tok his time and assisted me with my setup.

When we were ready, we pulled ourselves down the anchor line, to the wreck( the top was in 65ft)

We took our time on the bottom, the DM spent time showing us a nice variety of sea life. We saw rays, turtles, barracudas, lobster, plus more a nice first dive of the day 37minutes long.

After we picked up 3 divers, who were going to work with the owner on their OW dives, leaving the DM to dive with my son and I.

The 2nd dive was on a ridge line in a protected cove Flat Cay again alot of beautiful sea life on a leisurely 41 minute dives.

The 3rd dive was a drift dive after a tasty lunch of sandwiches which were included in our 3 dive package. The dive called Cisco's Drift started with a dive against a stiff current, until we reached the bottom of a coral ridge. The rest of the 43 min dive was relaxing just floating on a steady current around this coral valley.

I apologize, my retention of name is horrific but the owner, the female captain, and the dm were excellent. They all were helpful, giving background on the island during the surface intervals.

The nicest suprise was when the captain settled out our bill. He charged us for 2 divers, even though I he could easily charged us for the third since we did reserve 3 (and guarantee it with a credit card). And since I had told him I had brand new bp/w he brought onboard a BCD just in case I needed it at no cost to me.

So a nice boat, CG approved, good dives, helpful dm combined with a great customer service. this was a great day and I would recommend this boat to anyone.

Captain: Dwayne
Female Captain: Laura

And agreed, just got back from St Thomas and diving with Admiralty myself. It was a fantastic pleasure diving with them.

Where did you stay in St. Thomas?

We have a timeshare with Wyndham Vacation Resorts. The resorts can also be booked by non-owners I believe. Our time was split between the Bluebeard Beach Resort and the Elysian Beach Resort. Of the two, we found the resort facilities at the Elysian to be nicer, but the suites at the Bluebeard to be in better repair with fuller kitchen accommodations. The Bluebeard is IMHO in a better location as it's more directly off Rt 30, and the staff seem more eager to please.

The taxis near downtown are pretty reluctatant to journey long distances. Likewise, I found Red Hook taxis frowned on trips to downtown as each trip takes about 30 minutes. The Wyndhams are closer to Red Hook than they are downtown, so pre-plan/arrange for taxi pickups. My advice would be to stay closer to your dive sites to reduce losing time to taxi/car travel.

Back
Top Bottom