Trip Review-St. Thomas, Dominica, St. Kitts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingPrincessE

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Summary: I was aboard the Carnival Destiny March 30th-April 7th that left from Puerto Rico and stopped in St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Antigua, St. Kitts, and St, Maarten. I dove in St. Thomas, Dominica, and St. Kitts. I chose the three dive operators based upon Scubaboard suggestions/research. I was very happy with the dive ops in St. Kitts and Dominica, and hated the dive op in St. Thomas.
St. Thomas

Blue Island Divers

DiveMaster: Paul

Kennedy Wreck, max depth 62 ft

Overall: Negative experience, would not recommend.

I’ll start with the good (because there isn’t much). The booking process was flawless. They returned my email right away and were very organized while I was making my reservation. On the day of the dive, they picked me up right on time and right where they said they would be, they had even provided a little map.

Before I get into the negative, I will say I take 25% of the blame of why things went wrong…but I am very inexperienced with boat/ocean dives. I place 25% of the blame on Leisurepro, and give 50% of the blame to Blue Island Divers
I was the only one diving off the cruise ship so the other divers (approx 10 or so I think) were already on the boat…a fairly small boat. I set up my gear on the way during the rocky ride. Paul the DiveMaster stopped me only to have me sign the waivers, not to ask if I needed any help. I told him I was a fairly new diver and I that I hadn’t dove since September, and only had 6 ocean dives…he just said, “ok”. After the somewhat lacking pre-dive brief which was given just as I finished setting up my gear, I realized I hadn’t been buddied up. I should have realized this earlier, yes…but like I said I don’t ocean diving much. In the quarries I find a buddies (friends or through scubaboard) well before I even leave the house, so it isn’t something that occurs to me as I’m gearing up. Paul was off doing…?...something so I say to the Captain, “I don’t have a buddy, should I just buddy up with the DM?” He says “sure”. I assumed he would mention this to Paul, he didn’t…again I realize I shouldn’t have “assumed” that the dive op would actually communicate or care that I didn’t have a buddy.

People start jumping in the water (which was rough) and I was the fourth one in. I asked the captain to hand me my camera once I was in. I do my giant stride and there is no one watching to make sure it went ok. I look back expecting to have my camera handed to me but the captain wasn’t there. The female diver had gone down the line in the front of the boat, two male divers went down the line in the back. I don’t remember hearing which line I was supposed to go down so I didn’t know what to do. I also thought the DM would be in right after me since he was my buddy. I was bobbing around in the water getting tossed around, exhausting myself trying to stay in place to get my camera. I finally get someone’s attention and take me reg out of my mouth to ask which line I am supposed to go down…in the process swallowing a bunch of water. I’m told the line in front. Another few minutes of exhausting myself and sucking down my air and I finally get the captains attention to ask for my camera. Another minute or so and Paul (the DM) jumps in. I (out of breath) ask if he is going to be my buddy. He says “fine”. He looks down and asks me why those guys went down the back line…I say “I have no idea, they were down when I got in.” (Plus why is that my responsibility??) Obviously they didn’t give a good pre-dive brief if people were headed in all different directions. He tells me to go to the front while he gets them. So I swim to the front of the boat. I was thrown around for another few minutes and think…maybe I should descend. So I start down and immediately think “what the hell am I doing, I am a new diver, exhausted, and no nothing about this location…I can’t descend without a buddy!” So I come back up. Still all alone and freaked out. I was so out of breath and tired and I just wanted up and out of the water. I’m sure I was half way to panic. I was holding on the front line on the boat just trying to hold as high as possible so the water wouldn’t keep hitting my face (the reg was still in my mouth though). It would work but a wave would pull the boat up and yank the line out of my hand, and I would fall back into the water. After a minute or so of this I decided “eff this” I’m getting back on the boat so I started to swim back along the side…soo tired at this point. It was then that Paul showed up and tells me to come with him. We get to the front and I tell him I’ve already gone through half my air, he says “ok”.

So we finally descend. I swim around the wreck with him, and I’m the only one following him. This whole time I felt like I couldn’t catch my breath, was just shaky (not cold shaky), and my stomach was in knots. I just kept telling myself that this was just minor panic, that even though I felt like I wasn’t getting enough air…I was getting air and I was fine. Sort of like a mantra I was doing during the dive. I was also checking my air like crazy. Paul kept swimming into the wreck and I would just follow above or beside the penetration area. It was a fairly open wreck so it wasn’t “unsafe” but as such a new diver I don’t feel comfortable in an overhead environment and especially when I was already so freaked out. He signaled for me to come over and I thought he was going to show me something neat right at the entrance…but then he just swam me through one part of the wreck. I don’t think it was a good idea to bring someone with only 6 ocean dives, into an overhead environment. Luckily we were out of it in a minute or two.

Around 1000 psi I noticed that my computer was bubbling air from where the quick disconnect was. My first Oceanic Pro Plus 2 from LesiurePro broke on it’s first ocean dive. I send it back and they sent a new one…this was the new one’s first dive at all. What the heck Leisure Pro?? When it rains it pours right? I signaled that I was going up and Paul gave me the “ok” sign. I ascended slowly by myself, did my safety stop and got back on the boat with 470 psi. I was really freaked out by the whole dive, and I’m just glad it wasn’t my first ocean dive…it probably would have scared me away from all ocean diving. Luckily I know not all ocean dives are like that. Once everyone was back on board they went to the next site about 10 minutes away. No roll call or anything just a rhetorical question of “is everyone back onboard?” I had already decided I wasn’t going back in. I was freaked out and my stomach was in absolute knots…I told them it was seasickness because I didn’t feel like getting into it. I had taken Dramamine and had sea bands on so it wasn’t seasickness. I do the “three strikes you’re out” rule…if three things (or more) go wrong, I take it as a sign and skip the dive. I know it wasn’t just me though. The first girl that went in…the one that went to the front (correctly) when the other two went down the back complained that she was down there 10 minutes by herself before anyone else showed up. She said she was about to come up to see what was going on.

After the 10 minute ride, everyone jumped in for the 40 foot reef dive, no surface interval. I thought that was odd.
Other than my personal experience…the dive site wasn’t that impressive either. Not much sea life, everything was just kind of brownish. My wreck dive in St. Kitts a few days later was much better (and my wreck dive in Fort Lauderdale in September was much much better).

Dominica

Nature Island Diver (http://www.natureislanddive.com/index.html)

DiveMaster: W. Jules

Souferie Pinnacle & Coral Garden

Overall: Very nice dives, I would recommend the dive op

A dive op representative was there to meet the four of us as soon as we got off the ship and they drove us to the dive shop. I was diving with someone my mom “met” from cruise critic, and a couple I had “met” through scubaboard. Nature Island Diver happily exchanged my pro plus 2 for a regular SPG (incase you didn’t read the whole St. Thomas review-my pro plus 2 broke).

The one and only complaint I have about NID is that everything moved a little slow. After St. Thomas I was happy that they took their time, but they took a little too much time. It was probably a good 45 minutes (at least) from when we got to the dive shop to when we got on the boat. We were pretty much just sitting around; we had already done all the forms and everything in the first 5 minutes. During the first dive it was the four of us from the cruise ship, and two people that were staying on the island. They had an earlier dive with NID that day…so maybe the long wait to dive was to give them a surface interval or something. They had us set our gear up while docked to make it easier. The DM asked if I needed any help, but I was ok on my own. After I set it up he looked it over and tightened my tank strap, I appreciated that. The dive was great. We did our giant stride in, the boat driver handed me my camera right away. The SB couple took a minute to get their cameras in order and the DM was very relaxed. Told us all to take a minute, hang out on the surface and make sure we were ready to go down. We descended and I got some really neat pictures. The DM was awesome about pointing things out without touching anything or bothering the marine life. I hate when DMs touch things or agitate things just so you can see them. I would prefer to not see something that for it to be bothered in its own home, we are just visitors after all.

After the first dive they took us back to the dive shop (very close) and we had a long (too long) surface interval for 90 minutes. It was nice though; we moved the chairs outside to a little courtyard area and just sat in the sun. Our second dive was just the four of us from the ship. Three of the four of us were taking pictures or video. The DM just kind of hung out, let us do our thing, we’d make sure every so often that we were following him ok. He continued to point things out for us to see. After that we went back to the shop. They had two large stone dunking sinks to clean our gear in the courtyard. It was super convenient. Afterwards they drove us back to the ship. We were gone from about 10 am to 4 pm…a little long to just do two dives and I know some of us had hoped to get back earlier to see some of the island…but it wasn’t that big of a deal. I would much rather them take their time, do things right, than rush things and not give us a surface interval. I think the dive site was great, nice macro life, the DM was wonderful, and it was all organized. Thumbs up…err I mean “ok” symbol.

Pics:
IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

St. Kitts

Pro Divers (http://www.prodiversstkitts.com/)

DiveMaster: Auston

River Taw Wreck, max depth 40 ft & Brims…? max depth 93 ft

Overall: Good dives, Dive Op really great.

This was my last dive of the trip, and I had the same buddy as Dominica. The SB couple was doing a one tank dive because they had another excursion that afternoon, so they didn’t dive with us this time. Right on time at 9 am Auston approached and asked if we were Dale and Emily. He said a bus was picking up some people from the Marriot and would be there to pick us up in 10 minutes. He told us he would take our gear now though. So he put our bags in the SUV and off he went. It was a little over 20 minutes later that the van showed up for us. I was joking with Dale that I hoped it wasn’t a scam to get our dive gear…but it was really said in jest because I knew his name was Auston, and he knew our names. We found out that the reason they were late it because they were expecting four people at the Marriot, and only two showed up. Pro Divers gave the other people 15 minutes to show up…they never did. I wasn’t upset because Pro Divers can’t help that people didn’t show up.

When we got to the dive shop they had set up all our gear for us. That was very nice, I hadn’t been on a boat that sets up your gear from the start, just ones that switch your gear after the first dive…and not even all of them do that. I know some people like to do their own setup…but I’m not one of them. I had told Auston I needed to have my computer switched out with an SPG. He had gone a step further and let me borrow a computer (at no extra charge). It was a big, beautiful boat and only the four of us were diving. After waivers and C-Card checks, we were off. I noticed the boat had a sign that displayed they were DAN affiliated and had oxygen on board. All the dive boats might have O2 on board…but I liked seeing the sign.

Auston said that to be fair to everyone he or his DM would stay down about an hour, so some could stay down if others came up early (we all came up early). He also said that we were going to do a shallow dive and then a deep one, because a lot of other dive ops do the wreck as their second dive, so if we did it first we’d have it to ourselves.
The seas were pretty rough again. He told us as soon as we hit the water to descend because it’s calmer. I wish St. Thomas had told me that. My buddy got in first, then I got in and the boat guy handed me my camera right away. I saw that my buddy’s fins had come off and he was struggling to get them on in the choppy water. I started to swim over with images of St. Thomas flashing in my mind. As I was swimming over Auston saw what was going on as he was about to do his giant stride entry. He said, “don’t worry about Emily, I’ll help him”. I thought, “thank god a DM that knows what he is doing that will take care of things.” I happily descended. Auston led us to the three parts of the wreck…well two parts of the wreck and nearby van. We saw lots of fish and a couple of barracuda. We signaled to Auston when we were at 1000 psi and he took us to the ascend line.

The first negative thing about Pro Divers was the guy on the boat. Auston and the other DM were great…but the boat guy kind of sucked. I handed him my camera when I got to the ladder and started to take off my fins. I expected him to come back and take my fins and help me up, especially since it was a big rough…but he never came back. So I threw my fins on the boat and climbed back up. Once I was up I saw my buddy was having a little trouble on the other ladder (he told me he had some rotator cuff problems). Now Mr. Boat helper guy wants to help me…sit down. I told him I could sit down on my own and to go help my buddy get on the boat. He did switch everyone’s gear over, so he did something I suppose. We did about a 35 minute surface interval I think.

The second dive was in even more rough waters. Auston wrote the locations in our logs…and I’m having a little trouble with his handwriting. It was a reef, Bris… something. The second word looks like it could be “shallow” but the max depth we did was 93 feet. If anyone knows the site, please shoot me a PM. Upon entry I saw that my buddy was having trouble (his mask strap had broken) and he was trying hard to hold onto the line on the boat. Auston had entered on the other side of the boat. I swam down to get his attention and pointed at my buddy on the surface. He swam up and came back down a minute later and signaled that my buddy was skipping the dive and that he and I would buddy up. It was a very nice reef dive. Auston was great about signaling me when there were good things to take pictures of. He was also good about asking us how much air we had, to know when to turn around. The only thing I didn’t like was that he poked and pulled at a lobster to get it out in the open for us to see. (See Dominica review about how I feel about messing with sea life).

I had some air so I did an extra 5 minutes on my safety stop after the two other guys had gone up. Auston and the DM were still down. This time the entry was really rough. The waves were REALLY rocking the boat and it took me a while to feel comfortable swimming up when the boat wasn’t totally bucking. When I got up there was no one there. I had to wait for a bit and it was my buddy (who had skipped the dive) that came over. He tried to get a picture but I told him that I needed to get out quickly. I handed him my camera but before I could get my fins off the boat starting really bouncing up and down again. I swam away and descended to let it calm down a bit. I came back and got back on by myself again. Again, boat guy sucked. The boat guy then broke down my gear for me (despite my objections)…and didn’t do it the way I like to.

After we got back to the shop they carried by big ol’ dive bag off the boat for me, and Auston took time to fill out our log books and chat with us a bit while we were waiting for the van to take us back to our respective lodging locations. Two very good dives with a great dive op. I would highly recommend this shop.

Pics:
IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Barbados

I did snorkeling in Barbados off of Silver Moon (http://oceanadventures.bb/sailing%20home.htm) and it was great. We got to snorkel with sea turtles and then in an area rich with marine life. I got some great pictures and it was an amazing experience being so close to the turtles. It’s so sad that their numbers are dwindling because of pollution and other human actions.

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

Thanks for the info and sharing the pics...

S.

Sorry about your experience in St. Thomas. Your report makes me glad I decided not to use Blue Island when I go down at the end of the month. I had seen nothing but positive reviews for them going back years, but when they changed ownership at the beginning of this year I decided not to chance it. And since, like you, I have very few boat dives under my belt, your report really hits home.

Thanks

princesse,
i like your turtle shots.
have you ever considered going on a liveaboard?

Sorry about the horrible diving experiences.... ditto on skipping the diving from a cruise ship. Do a LIVEABOARD!!!

Actually you can have a great dive trip land-based but I really haven't ever heard great things about diving from a cruise ship. A friend has done it twice and says the dive ops expect everyone to be newbies and never see them again so they don't care how they treat you. Just her observation. I doubt she will ever do it again after her last trip (one of the divers was so bad that she kicked out the front teeth of another diver in their group!) She also said that the dive ops used by the cruise ships take the divers to the closest or easiest dives, not the best sites. She was really disappointed with the whole experience. She loved her cruises but hated the diving - and she loves to dive!

But as I said before, if you want really a great diving experience - go on a liveaboard! :D No fancy dresses and ballrooms, nightly shows (other than slideshows in the salon after dinner each night) but waaaaay better diving and you are treated like gold. :D

robin:D

Very thorough review. Thanks! And the turtle pics are fun!!

So what was the deal with the short SIs? The Blue Island op sounds real slack (read: bad), but why was the St. Kitts SI only 35 min? I've only been out with one op in my relatively young diving career, but we always did 1 hour. It might have been because we were packing in 4 - 5 dives a day though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom