St. Thomas?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A. J. Shark

Reaction score
Woohoo going to St. Thomas in a few weeks!! Just wondering if there are any "must do" places, not only dives but food and night life too?? Any input would be appreciated!!
thanks
- A J

The navy barges in the harbor are a pretty cool easy dive. 60 foot depth easy penetration lots of schooling fish.

Been there twice, both times a day stop from a cruise ship. Next time, I'm going for a week to dive with Blue Island Divers. Stop by the shop in Crown Point Marina and say hello to Aitch and the boys. Great dive operator!

Get on the ferry at Red Hook and hop across to St. John and see what some of the worlds prettiest beaches look like. That is my favorite island and I can't wait to visit again. Lots of unspoiled island there, just across from St. Thomas a short ferry ride away.

For the cheapest beers in St. Thomas, try the Crews Inn, above the Wendys Resturant right outside Haversite Mall and the cruise ship pier. $1 Bud all day, $2 for Blackbeards Ale from St. Croix and pour your own rum and cokes. Not much to look at, but a fun group of kids and lots of cold beer.

We always stay closer to the East End when we go, so most of the places I am going to recommend are closer to there, i.e. nothing in downtown.

Diving:
I dive with Chris Sawyer. Love the op. They hold your hand, but the people are super friendly and the service is always consistently top-notch.

Restaurants:
* Blue Moon Cafe (right on the water in Secret Harbor)

* Duffy's Love Shack (a hole-in-the-wall hamburger joint in the middle of a hot and crowded parking lot...still the best steak sandwich and cold beer on the island, though)

* Randy's

* Molly Molone's (Irish pub style restaurant right on the marina in Red Hook)

* Seafood Jungle (WAY on the East side of the island, but I think the BEST restaurant on St. Thomas)

* Off the Hook (This is the only one I have not personally been to, but everyone consistently said that this was someplace we should try)

My son was a dive instructor on St. T for 2 years. I have dived there a lot myself.

The best dive shop on the island is Blue Island Divers on Crown Bay Marina. Ask for Aitch (owner and tell him Dante sent you). Tell them you are a new diver and they will lead to some very easy beginner wreck dives and really nice reef dives.

www.BlueIslandDivers.com

Stay away from Underwater Safaris, Admiralty and St T Dive club. They tend to be cattle boats or don't respect tidal ebbs and flows.

As far as bars and resturants are concerned go to the East End (Red Hook area). Wander around and you will definately find some good places. Whale of a Tale is very good for sea food. Poor Mans (aka The Warehouse) located upstairs from the Chinese place; cheap pour your own drinks.

For Friday/Saturday night live music, go to "The Off Shore Bar" located at Havensight Mall by the Cruise ships. Don't go during the day or any other night.

For a nice dinner find either "Room with a View" or "The Old Stone Farm House (a little pricey). You could also try Bolongo Bay for a Thursday night hang out which includes night time volley ball (games are always available to jump in on, if you're interested).

Also try to get the St. John for at least a day (for the beaches, Cinnamon or Trunk) or evening (for the bars, Woodies or Duffy's Love Shack).

Enjoy the Ride
:mean:

no matter who you dive with(i have nothing but good things to say about St Thomas dive club) Make sure they take you to Baracuda point off Buck Island, I dove there in december and it was one of the greatest dives in my life, If you don't know about baracuda they are not elusive like other preditors like sharks they are rather social. you will find that they will wait under the boat for you and tha they will swim with you. I was staring at one about a 4 footer and he came towards me and looked into my mask from around 6 feet and then decided that he wanted to swim between myself and the discover scuba student that was with me. Don't miss that dive. I saw a reef shark the same day and it was nothing compared to the interaction with the great baracuda.

Thanks again guys, I dove this weekend here (kentucky) and it was so cold, I hope that it is nice and sunny down there!! Can't wait!!
- A J

Well its always sunny down there, you will see and the days they call cloudy will make you laugh... oh there is a cloud:)

Following up on the recommendation for Chris Sawyer - Matt how do you get hold of him. Do you have an e-mail, webpage or phone number?

Also, would love any other opinions about good folks to dive with in Saint Thomas. From what has been posted so far it seems that Blue Island Divers are good to dive with. Any bad experiences with them or other very good experiences with others?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom