Looking for Some Input on Statia..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smsacumen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have to say I'm a little shocked at the lack of information here or in Undercurrent regarding experiences on Statia. Thus, any information anyone can provide would be much appreciated. I'm heading to the area at the end of January with stays in St. Maarten and Saba already scheduled. I've dove both SM and Saba multiple times and had a few extra days to kill so I thought I would see what Statia had to offer (yeah, I know, I should add them onto my Saba stay - by my curious nature says otherwise). The folks I dive with on Saba referred Golden Rock and someone I've been communicating with on SM recommended Scubaqua. In addition, I know a third op exists called Statia Dive Center.

Whatever anyone can throw my way...also interested in any recommendations on lodging, being a single guy traveling alone I don't need much outside of convenience and preferably an ocean view.

Thanks!!

I was just there on a Liveaboard 3 weeks ago. The "Old Gin House" The Old Gin House seemed to be the nicest and most occupied of the accomodations there. One of the other passengers had stayed there on another occasion and he said that it would be his first choice again.

It's right on the water. I imagine any dive op would be able to service you from it. Let us know how the trip went. I'd like to go back and spend some time there myself.

I'm also sure you can get a much better price that what's quoted on the web. Their toll-free number is: 800 223-9815

Last edited:
smsacumen,

It's seven years ago since I was there, so keep in mind that things can be changed. Back then there were three operators, all located at the waterfront and all in walking distance form the mentioned Old Gin House (but in fact everything on Statia is within walking distance).
Statia is a bit bigger than Saba, but not much and not crowded by tourist. It is a volcanic island and the shallow waters have a black coral sand bottom. In the bay the remainders of a few old wrecks can be found.

I dove the following sites:
Barracuda Reef, Wreck City, Off the Wall, Blairs, Anchor Point, Double Wreck, Down South and Hangover. All dives were made from small boats (back roll), most of them with the only the DM or two other divers. The average time was 50 minutes and the maximum depth was between 60 and 70 feet with exception of a couple of deep dives: Off the Wall was 137(!) feet and the other deep dive at Down South. The names tell it all.

We say some jack, stingray, barracuda, reef squid, garden eels, balloonfish, lobster, crab, turtle, nurse shark, snapper, moray eel, garden eel, angelfish, durgeon and more.

Hope this helps.

I'm living nearby and I've heard it is pretty cool because it is much quieter and less developed. If you go, please post a report. I will probably go for a few days sometime myself just to check it out.

We'll do marcaumarc. I believe from what I've seen that you are over on St. Martin, correct? I'm going to be spending seven days over there also on this trip. I've been diving with Blue Bubble in Phillipsburg (formerly in Little Bay) the past few years, mostly diving on the southern end of the island. I'm looking to check out different areas and thus far have been looking at Octopus Diving over in Grand Case. I'm staying in Oyster Bay and figure to throw in a shore dive on the reef off of Dawn Beach as well. Who / where do you prefer on the island?

smsacumen,

I've only been diving with Octopus. We're friends with the owners, but also they run a great operation. They only take out a max of 6 divers at a time, which is very nice. Also, they go regularly to reefs and wrecks on both sides of the island, at Tintamarre and in the channel between SXM and Anguilla. If you haven't been diving on the French side and Tintamarre particularly, they have the best reefs I've seen on the island. Since I've been down we've also done some exploratory diving with them and found a couple nice reefs that have never been dove? dived? before. These will probably become regular sites for Octopus, especially once the weather calms down a little (December has some strange winds here).

If you do want more info, just message me, and let me know when you are on the island!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom