Underwater Safari ---AVOID this dive shop in St.Thomas ---

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TBeecher

New
Reaction score
I dont normally post on this board but, I'd like to warn all divers and cruise ship passengers of the Underwater Safari dive operation in St.Thomas USVI.

Do NOT allow your ships shore director to book your dive with Underwater Safari in St.Thomas. Cancel your dive if they do so!! ..Dont waste your hard earned money at Underwater Safari.

The management/owners(Michelle) are just flat out rude and COMPLETELY disrespectful. This "cattle boat" operation needs to be shut down.

I'm shocked that respectable cruise lines like Carnival and RCCL would do business with such people.

We were on a 10 day trip to St.Thomas with some friends who booked dives with Underwater Safari. Little did we know that we would be railroaded to the SAME dive site for 3 straight days (Buck Island) and treated like cattle. When we asked if their were other dive sites to see, we were promptly told no, and if we didnt like it then we should have done more research before booking our dives. Our friends who where traveling with us booked the dives and were unaware of this as well.

After the second day, we called 4 times, yes 4 TIMES in the same day, to try and talk to someone about canceling our other dives only to be told that they were to busy to talk to us on the phone and that they would have to call us back. No one ever called us back after waiting all day. And when we finally called them again for the 5th time the next day, the lady from the shop knew nothing about anything related to the day to day operations, scheduling or diving in general. What the ?..... absolutely no help at all. At this point we're feeling like these people have just taken our money and ran.

Our friends that were traveling with us called and spoke with a women named Michelle?, claiming to be an owner or manager of the shop, and was just completely rude and disrespectful. She was absolutely no help at all. Saying there's nothing she could do or offer us and its just tough sh* t. Then she just rushed us off the phone. I guess because she's so busy and has no time for people who are not making her money right this second.

Their dive site is nothing but big rocks covered in fire coral and a big piece of bent up metal they call a "shipwreck"...? Once we got back to the dock our boat driver was yelled at for 10 minutes in front of the whole boat of customers by whom I assume was the owner Michelle. She yelled at him for being late getting back to the dock and among other things. We actually felt sorry for the guy as everyone could see this lady rules with an iron fist and all the employees live in fear of her. What a great way to run a business...?

Also, they passed around a completely blank sheet of paper on a clipboard on the way back into the dock, asking everyone to write comments down about their "service" or dives. I, like most people, wouldn't feel comfortable being singled out in front of everyone else on the boat if I DID write a bad comment on the sheet and then made to explain myself in front of everyone, or cause a scene. This is not a legitimate way to get real comments or criticisms for a business, when others can see whose writing what and whose unhappy when running the risk of being singled out for writing a negative comment. Someone on the boat mentioned they probably have to do this to counter all the complaints they get from people who complain to the cruise lines...? Interesting point and makes sense too. hmmm....

After talking to some of the other divers on board that were from cruise ships, I feel sorry for them being dropped into this place. And then told they dont have a choice of dive operators or dive sites.

In conclusion, avoid this place at all cost. I would never give my money to an operation like this. Dont let the cruise line shore director push this dive operation on you because its cheap, easy and convenient for them. Its appalling the level of disrespect for their customers and uncaring attitude portrayed by this operation all the way up to the owner herself.

Enjoy your vacation and book elsewhere.

This doesn't surprise me.

Someone was seriously hurt at Underwater Safari in St. Thomas like 3 weeks ago...had to go to the hospital, etc..

This doesn't surprise me.

Someone was seriously hurt at Underwater Safari in St. Thomas like 3 weeks ago...had to go to the hospital, etc..

Being in St. Croix, I have heard some questionable things regarding that operation, though I have no clue whether anything is true or exaggerated. From the OP's post, it is clear that they may be true.

One thing I will say for sure is that just because someone was hurt does not make it the operators fault, nor the divemaster or instructors fault. I am an instructor, another instructor and myself were leading a small group of certified divers. Once we were back on the boat after the second dive of the day, one diver complained of ear pain. Long story short, he had a massive reverse block that he didn't allow to clear. Took him to the hospital, did some damage to the inner ear. After more info came up, it turns out he was taking decongestants amongst other health issues not so conducive to diving, yet he had claimed no issues when he filled out his paperwork at the beginning of the week.

So, he was seriously hurt, had to go to the hospital, but in no way was it my fault or the dive shops fault.

I really object to posters who come on this board for the sole purpose of ranting about an op. The OP may be completely correct but it irks me that the rant is the only reason he's on this board. BTW is it really that surprising that an op that specializes in ferrying pod people provides mediocre service and a crappy repetitive dive site? Shocking! Ok there's my rant!

I really object to posters who come on this board for the sole purpose of ranting about an op.

even if this is there only post, I appreciate the info. Obviously had a very bad experience or would not have gone to te effort to post. There are plenty og great dive ops out there to not expose one like this.

And yes, most cruise line hook ups are less than stellar, fishing, diving or whatever. Homewok should be done.

I agree with the assesment of Underwater Safari in St. Thomas. I expierenced first hand last June when Michelle met us at the dock (Carnival Glory). Zero personality and customer service skills. We also had to carry our dive gear about 1/2 mile from the dock to their DS before the dive. The dive itself (Buck Island) was lackluster.

The divemaster was a nice guy however, but he never assigned me (lone diver) to a buddy. I had to suggest I stay with him.

The DS was very nice and probably the highlight of that particular trip.

Michelle really needs to lighten up.

I really object to posters who come on this board for the sole purpose of ranting about an op. The OP may be completely correct but it irks me that the rant is the only reason he's on this board. BTW is it really that surprising that an op that specializes in ferrying pod people provides mediocre service and a crappy repetitive dive site? Shocking! Ok there's my rant!

People post good experiences and people post bad experiences. I encourage both, but if you are going to complain then please give particulars, don't just trash people with vague allegations. I think the OP set out fairly clearly the source of their unhappiness with the operator.

Because SB is so ubiquitous, it is pretty common for shops to come on and post the other side of the story. I don't know if UWS will do so here, but I am sure this thread will come to their attention sooner or later and they will have a chance to do so.

I think its really important that divers post their experiences here because for those of us planning trips, we want to find our way to the best ops. To spend our hard earned cash getting the best dive experience possible.

PD

I believe that it would be nice to have one (1) site on this forum where
divers could write about their dive operation/boat experiences (good or
bad) and that everyone could view. That way reviews would be in one place,
and not all over the board. Would also be nice to be able to keep the dive
operations from writing that they are great and others not so much!

It also should have a way that the public could just enter a island
name, or company and be able to pull up those reviews. That would
allow vacationers to get a better idea what others think about these
operations in advance before booking and putting money down.

I know that it would assist me at times...

I also know that S.B. has a huge number of sites already, but it would be nice.
Something for S.B. to maybe think about (?).

I believe that it would be nice to have one (1) site on this forum where
divers could write about their dive operation/boat experiences (good or
bad) and that everyone could view. That way reviews would be in one place,
and not all over the board. Would also be nice to be able to keep the dive
operations from writing that they are great and others not so much!

It also should have a way that the public could just enter a island
name, or company and be able to pull up those reviews. That would
allow vacationers to get a better idea what others think about these
operations in advance before booking and putting money down.

I know that it would assist me at times...

I also know that S.B. has a huge number of sites already, but it would be nice.
Something for S.B. to maybe think about (?).

Something similar to that already exists: Scubadvisor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom