Barbados Shore Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AudraKay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I read a posting on a different website that said that because all of the beaches in Barbados are public that you can pretty much shore dive wherever you want - you might not see much close to shore, but a couple minute swim to the outer reefs would make for a decent shore dive. I am wondering how true this is? Has anyone done shore dives in Barbados other than Carlisle Bay and Folkstone?

I have done the two you have mentioned and that is it.

However, I wrote the Barbados government an email....yep, I really did.....and they answered me! Basically they said shore diving is allowed anywhere but use common sense where boat traffic is occuring and use a towed dive flag on all shore dives. But since Carlisle Bay is roped off to boat traffic, you dont need a dive flag there. I would recommend one at Folkstone.

Check out a dive map of the island and then try and spot the white dive site marker buoys. The surf has been a bit high this month though at times even keeping the dive boats in, so shore diving might be a bit difficult for entry and exits.

Jeeptrick....I have dived Barbados a number of times and have never seen a dive map of the island. Where did you get one? Does it only show boat dive sites?

I am also interested in any information that can be provided about diving in Barnados.

I will be making my first trip there the first week in May.

Feel free to clue me in on who to dive with, dive sites to be sure to see, and even good places to eat! I appreciate any info I can get before I head out to the island.

I am also interested in any information that can be provided about diving in Barnados.

I will be making my first trip there the first week in May.

Feel free to clue me in on who to dive with, dive sites to be sure to see, and even good places to eat! I appreciate any info I can get before I head out to the island.

I'm also heading there at the end of february and am looking for the same type of information!

Dive map I am used to seeing is on the door of the dive shop Barbados Blue, the marker buoys have been repaired or replaced in the last months (white) most of the good sites are on the outer side of the fringing reefs or on the deeper bank reefs. Boat diving is the way to go I think accept for Carlisle Bay which is still better with a guide though, the best map of the bay is on the Barbados blue web site. The dive shop will rent you tanks for it.

Interesting...thanks Jeeptrick

Places to eat, Brown Sugar near the Hilton has a buffet everyday of Bajan style foods, Cuz's shack on Pebbles beach has the best fish/egg/cheese or any combo of, on the island, Oistens on Friday nights for a big fish meal I like Mo's or Chrystels about the best. Burger stand across from the portable police trailer in the Gap for best street burger. "Just Grillin" in Quay Side strip mall is good as are most of the restaurants in the wee mall. Berts sports bar has pretty good food and Hockey on the TV in season, best place to see ice not in a drink. I am partial to diving with Barbados Blue, and I like all the sites they visit regularly, Round Bar took a bit of damage from hurricane Tomas but their reefs are in good shape and colourful otherwise. Check online for hotels that do a stay and dive deal with BB. I Like The Coral Mist. Good location, clean and reasonable rates. Also, check a web site called Shoestring travel for rental properties that are less expensive. And when you dive leave everything behind that you don't need under water, you know stress, work, worry, Have a great holiday.
Daniel

Realistic: shore diving is not enchouraged as most operators have boats to pay for and a living to make. So unless you know someone who has bottles and weights that you can use it may not be a practial plan for your diving getaway on the island. Just saying.
I always say leave everything you don't need to dive behind; worries, stress, work, expectations, negetivity, ect.the list grows.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom