Headed to Aruba- beware of Mermaid Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcarver

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello from NC. I'm new to scubaboard and wanted to share some information for divers that might be planning a visit to Aruba. We have been certified since 09 and have logged right at 40 dives in 4 countries and Mermaid Divers in Aruba was the worst experience we have had.

Here is a quick run down of our experience-
Pick up scheduled for 7:50 AM they arrived at 8:25 AM. The dive was actually scheduled for 8:30AM and we FINALLY left the dock at 10:00AM.

Carlos gave us a spill about wanting to provide the best experience for divers. Even if they have to cancel a trip if conditions were not good. This was crap we went out with 5 foot swells and visibility that was terrible. The boat crew indicated that it had been this way for at least a week.

BEWARE of the cancellation policy- somewhere in the miles of paperwork and liability waivers you agree to a complete no refund policy for any reason. Finally we load into a rattle trap van and head to the dock. After all the equipment is loaded on the boat we are ready to head out.

There is a banner that runs across the MERMAID website that says no CATTLE BOATS and this is just not true. There were 16 divers on the boat, plus 3 divemasters and a boat captain; we were shoulder to shoulder. This boat had a very low top that required you to walk bent over in full dive gear to reach the dive platform. On the way back from the dock we found that about half of the divers were finishing their dives because of the no refund policy. Stuck and diving just so they dont loose money.

If all dive shops were like this one I would hang up my wetsuit. Last note the boat crew and divemasters were great. Everything else was just TERRIBLE.

16 divers? The boat they have pictured on their web site is elbow to elbow with 3 on
board.

HI Jcarver:

I've been travelling to Aruba for years and have always used Carlos and Mermaid. What you posted is something that happens occasionally. To set the record straight about the 8:30 start time ... that's when you have to be at the shop. Anyhow, I am sorry you had a bad experience. I know about the low overhead on the boat. I'm tall and don't mind it.

Today we went lion fish hunting and we were a group of 8 divers, all very experienced and the water was very clear. We bagged about 15 lion fish, including a tiny one that we captured alive because they are having a contest on the island to see who gets the largest (dead) and smallest (live) lion fish. Carnicio, the dive leader (master instructor) and Hubert (the captain) made lion fish sushi for us, including good soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger. Out-frikking-standing!

Anyhow, I hope my post shows that Mermaid can deliver a good experience.

Happy Diving!

Gotta wonder about posters who join and immediately post to defend an op with a bad review. I'm looking at you, gringohdp.

Gotta wonder about posters who join and immediately post to defend an op with a bad review. I'm looking at you, gringohdp.

Hi Steve:

I had just been diving the previous week with Scuba Fun in Bayahibe, Dominican Republic. The owner, John, suggested I sign up for Scuba Board as a place to get information about places I'd like to go. Since I was in Aruba and diving with Mermaid I got curious about how Scuba Board works and looked up reviews. Saw one that was negative, thought I'd defend the place since I've been diving with Carlos for years and have been generally very pleased.

In defense of my defense of Mermaid I say the following:

1) I have a hell of a lot more experience with the place than the diver that posted the negative comment
2) The poster had a really crappy day and I get that he's unhappy.
3) I understand your point of view. Generally a person new to a forum would post about something they experienced, whether positive or negative or a question.

Regards
GringoHDP

Back
Top Bottom