Antigua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone dived with Dockyard Divers of Antigua?

TMHeimer - I did recently dive in Antigua, but not with Dockyard Divers.

I did want to make you aware of information I recently found. Antigua is a country that actively supports whaling and has been lobbying with Japan to remove the moratorium on whaling.

Since most divers I know are also practicing conservationists and environmentalists, I wanted to ensure everyone was aware of this. This island nations of Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia and St. Vincent and the Grenadines continue to voice their support for Japanese whaling activities to the best of my knowledge.

I'll leave it to each person to determine whether or not their support for whaling is important enough for them to make alternate plans, but I certainly will no longer be listing countries on this list. On top of that, I will make it know to the individual resorts I've visited in the past and the travel agents I used to plan these trips of my objections.

Just something to think about...

Lunatics are everywhere... I did not dive in Antigua due to knee problems... i can't help you... but i doubt you will see any whales killed while or because you are there. have a good trip.

Lunatics are everywhere... I did not dive in Antigua due to knee problems... i can't help you... but i doubt you will see any whales killed while or because you are there. have a good trip.

I don't want to see any more whales killed, but it's not my thing. I'm a shell collector looking for a place that allows live collecting while on scuba. The post above yours is not the only one that would have my head.

I usually spend about 3 months a year in Antigua, in the dockyard area and have never heard anything about them, good or bad, nor even seen the shop.

He must be quite a quiet outfit which could be good for you.

The other guys in english harbour, soul immersions and aquanauts are good shops. There is also seawolf diving, though I'm not sure they'll be open this year.

Dave

Neither Antigua nor any of the other islands mentioned have any interest in whaling for themselves. They are, however, interested in having money.

Japan is trying to buy votes to get the whaling ban overturned. Antigua has as many votes as the United States, but it takes a lot less money for them to be bought off.

It's your choice, but if you want to support a government willing to sell its soul....

No one wants to see the whaling ban overturned.

I've seen first hand the good that the whaling money has done to the islands, particularly barbuda where the new school stands out against the backdrop of abject poverty.

Would you blame a homeless guy for voting for whaling in return for a house?

If you want to talk about buying votes how about talking about the companies that bought enough votes to send your children off to kill innocent people and die for oil?

That's ok? But Antigua can't have a free school? I believe St Lucia's new hospital has opened also. Good for them.

Also- Sorry, completely off topic.

Hi
I'm new to the forums, just joined actually. I joined partly for the reason i'm about to list and I by no means mean it in an aggressive way, or to start a fight. I also realize that this is a three year old post, but as you may see something is a bit off here. The posts about whaling and Antigua is way out of proportion, as someone who was born and lives in Antigua, and is very open to conservation I think it needs correction. For what i have seen here, nobody I have met has the attitude of "Hey lets go kill this whale for food!" and we certainly do not go out like mad harpooning any whales we see. Come on, avoid an entire country because it is signed up for something but doesn't execute it as often as some people seem to think. For all the time i have been alive I have NEVER heard or seen of a whale killing. Unless it was waaay on the south of the island or not done with anyone's knowledge, as far as i know and are concerned: It hasn't happened. Even countries like the US sign and agree to things (like the Basil Convention which they haven't ratified) but hey, say what right? We are signed to whaling so we are all whale hungry and want to see the species go extinct right?(HEAVY SARCASM there). Dave is right about what he previously said, I think they also helped with a fisheries where the Barbudans can get scuba equipment safely filled (not entirely sure) but it looked like a nice facility, and for the record Barbuda has some really cool reefs and wreaks. But by all means: just because we are supporting whaling, and I wouldn't call it active, doesn't mean you shouldn't visit. No one with a bone of reason will look at you and say "HEY he/she went to a country that supports whaling! LETS OSTRACIZE EM'!! " That doesn't happen, so stop it. Visit Antigua and by all means PM me what you think. If you don't like it fine, I'll accept it everyone is entitled to their own opinion be it the atmosphere or the people or the food, etc (and no I'm not being contradicting because I am posting this then telling people they can have their own opinion. What was done above is like anti-advertising not an opinion-its harmful)
I should not have to type in my Country's name and see multiple posts like this. If someone willingly wants to avoid visiting a country based on what they are involved with on paper, they should look for the information and be aware of it themselves and not hear it from someone spouting out of proportion 'facts'. Base something like that on observation. I have been alive here for 17 1/2 years and have never seen a dead whale, killed by humans for food. I have never even seen their meat sold in stores or at the market. I have seen several live ones, free in the ocean and their sight was visually enjoyed by EVERYONE around me.......... Antiguans.
So yeah, unfortunately something negative like this was my second post ever on the forums, but it needed to be done.

The Japanese are behind the Whaling in the Caribbean by buying the different island gifts. Barbuda was given a fisheries pier for their vote.

Having lived in Antigua for 8 years, and operated a dive shop here. I can assure you all the dive operators as well as the majority of the population are against whaling. Governments are corrupt and line their own pockets. Not much we can do about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom