St. Croix, What did you wish you knew before you went?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sctom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been reading the Bonaire thread in the ABC Islands sub forum and since I'm going to St Croix in a few days I thought I'd give it a try here, (hope you don't mind divemonkey).

If you are staying long term and responsible for utilities be prepared for a horrifying electric bill, even if you don't run the AC much. Ditto for water (our combined bills ran close to $400 over the 6 months we were there).

Planning my return soon, here is what I learned in 6 months on island:

1. Greet everyone with good morning, afternoon, or night. Do not use 'good evening'. Do NOT just jump straight into 'I would like a ...' with someone in a shop/restaurant, it is considered very rude and your service will suffer. Actually one of the things I miss most from the island! The mainland seems very gruff in comparison.

2. Draft beer is very expensive, and only available at the brew pub on the boardwalk or 1844 tavern a block or two off the boardwalk. The ONLY place to get draft Guinness is 1844, and it is $9/pint. Worth it when you haven't had a real bear in 4 months though. :)

3. 4:00pm at Deck Bar for happy hour. Say hi to the crew from SCUBA for me. Do not let Simeon buy you drinks, he likes some nasty tasting stuff!

4. Miriam's on hospital road for tasty Mexican food. Galangal for good Thai. Chicken Shack if you have a car (mid island near UVI) and want some amazing fried chicken.

5. Dive the pier at night. A LOT. Do the shallow version for sure and the deep one if you have two nights. Do some shore dives at Carambola for a nice long day. Wall is a trivial sim out and the shop on site will run your tanks to and from the fill station on an ATV. Do the night dive off the north shore for some unique bioluminescence if your trip falls on a new moon.

6. If you rent a car and go to the beach, just leave it unlocked with the windows down with no valuables in it.

7. I found St Croix to be very safe, but then I am 2 meters tall so folks tend not to bother me when smaller game is plentiful. Do be aware and careful, it isn't any more dangerous than other places, but it IS very small so what come there is tends to be a lot more visible and feels closer to home than it would in a city of 50,000 on the mainland.

8. Drink some mamajuana... Yummy!

9. The people are fantastic, hang out at the bars and talk to locals. Be careful because you won't want to come home.

10. Don't kid yourself and think that you will just sign up for a Tec40 class and be done after that. Ended up going all the way thru TriMix with SCUBATec and had a blast doing it.

Mongoose are not cute and cuddly and they are everywhere. Don't leave food out.

Wine (was) cheap compared to the US prices.

And this whole driving on the different side of the road when the car is built just like those in the US takes a bit of getting used to. If you rent a car, be very careful. And if you do rent a car, get a jeep. Jeeps are so much fun in St. Croix.

I meant the question for a vacation but great info.

9. The people are fantastic, hang out at the bars and talk to locals. Be careful because you won't want to come home.

This is one of the things I worry about; the coming back thing:D.

Tom

5. Dive the pier at night. A LOT. Do the shallow version for sure and the deep one if you have two nights.

Dive it any time the cruise ships aren't there. It was likely the best thing there and it was amazing.

IMG_0451.jpg

"Armageddon", the cluster of 5 (or so) placed wrecks were way deep at 100fsw, often heavy currents, and as of 2012, not much in the way of anything to be seen living on them.

Apparently, we are having no cruise ships until the fall. Dive the pier, it's amazing.

Come and enjoy, the water's warm, the rum drinks are cold and strong, and everyone is so friendly. You will cherish the good morning, good afternoon, good night ritual and don't worry if you mess up and say good evening, nobody will mind.

The beautiful smiles. Really look at the person you are speaking with, even if it's just a good afternoon on the sidewalk, especially if you are doing some type of business. Eye contact, big smile. When they say "are you ok?" they mean "how ya doin'?" and yes, they really do want to know.

My big huge complaint is that the roads SUCK, humongous potholes everywhere. Rent a car that can handle that. Jeep is a good choice.

The only time you will hear car horns here is when someone wants to let you into traffic...or they are thanking you for letting them into traffic.

Leave NOTHING in your car, roll the windows down and leave the doors unlocked.

We have a ton of spectacular restaurants here and lots and lots of awesome live music.

People here are so talented, it seems that everyone is an artist or a musician or a chef or a jewelry designer or a combination of two or three.

Enjoy your visit!

Thank you all, I'm there.......here and am having a wonderful time. The diving has been very good, I'll post a report when I get home.

Tom:D

Glad to hear you're having fun!!! I'd offer to buddy with you except...I was in a car accident last week and I'm way too sore. Be CAREFUL if you are driving!!!

Thanks for the offer Debby, sorry to hear about the wreck, I hope you're feeling better. We did our last dive for the trip today, wow what a week!
Tom

GLAD to hear you enjoyed diving here, hope you'll post a trip report and pics!!! And maybe some favorite bars and restaurants and musicians too!

And, since everyone asks where to stay, but I live here so don't know the lodging, care to share? And did you rent a car?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom