St Croix trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just got back from two weeks in St Croix and wanted to post this brief report to help anyone considering a trip there. We went to St Croix because our daughter was there to work at the hospital for a month as part of her residency. They supplied her with a car and an apartment so we tagged along to get a (relatively) cheap vacation. The apartment was near the hospital which is located mid island so we didn't have beach access but there was a nice pool which we had to ourselves.

This was definitely the off season as there were very few tourists in town and several restaurants were closed. We ate in frequently and that worked well for us. We did a total of 11 dives including 5 shore dives at Cane Bay, 2 boat dives out of Salt River with Anchor Dive Center and three daytime dives at the Fredriksted pier.

Cane Bay

This is a beautiful beach with the Cane Bay Dive shop directly across the road. We were able to rent tanks and weights for $15 for 24 hrs and refills were $8. We did these dives without guides and had no problems. The swim out to the drop off is rather long (about 150 yards) and the current always seemed to work against us. You can go down about 30 yards early and explore some coral outcroppings along the way. The best entry is right along the boat ramp since it's sandy whereas there are rocks to either side. Swim out to the buoy just left (west) of the boat ramp then continue directly north to the edge of the wall (or drop down first). The top of the wall starts at about 80 feet and the coral is is pretty good condition. Visibility was ok at about 50 - 60 feet. Hurricane Sandy had passed by about a week earlier and this probably still had an effect on the visibility. The wall heading west was better than to the east where the sandy bottom extends further to the north making the top of the wall deeper. There were lots of fish and we saw a reef shark on one dive. We did all the north side shore dives at Cane Bay because the other dives were very isolated and it wasn't obvious to us where the entrances were.

Salt River
We took two dives with Anchor Dive Center (East Wall and Shark Shanty). The boat and crew were good and the boat ride was only 5 minutes to these sites. That was good since the water was a bit rough (combination of the normal condition for that time of year and the storm surge according to the captain). Our DM was "Whiz" who was great. On the first dive we had three reef sharks hanging nearby and also found a nurse shark under a ledge. Nice dive. The second dive was only ok, nothing special.

Fredrikstead pier
We used N2 the Blue to rent tanks and weights but did the dives on our own. Their shop is perfectly located for diving the pier. It's only about 100 feet from the start of the pier and they also give you a cart to haul your gear. The carts have locks so you can leave them on the pier during your dive. We walked out to the wooden pier to the south side and jumped in to 8 feet of water and snorkeled to the start of the main concrete pier. There were thousands of small fish schooling along the way and swimming through them was like going through a snowstorm. Be sure to check out the remains of the old pier (destroyed during a storm) that stick out of the water to the west of the entry point as this has hadmore time to grow coral and is quite nice. The main pier has coral growth on all the support columns and rocks/debris on the sand where you'll find a great variety of fish/critters. Also be sure to check out the sand and rubble to the north side of the pier heading back toward shore since there were several things to see including two octopi, flounder, stingray, webbed burr fish etc. We saw many interesting creatures under the pier including lobsters, crabs, two large green morays, two seahorses, two more octopii, sharptailed eel, a second webbed burrfish, large porcupine fish, a really tiny juvi french angelfish (1/2"), juvi trunkfish (looks like a die), juvi hardhats, tons of very large arrow crabs etc, etc. This was a super divesite. Four octopi in one dive and this during daylight!!!! As we did additional dives we would snorkel further out along the pier before starting the dive so we could explore more new areas. The max depth we hit was about 50 feet (in some dropoffs to the south side) and our dives were 85+ minutes long. Visibility was about 40 feet at the start and about 80 feet as you proceeded along the pier. There is a place where one could jump in a lot closer to the start of the concrete pier but the gate leading to that area was closed while we were there so you had to jump in at he wooden pier or at the small sandy section of beach. The exit was by climbing up the large rocks at the east end of the wooden pier (or via the beach). The rocky exit was easy as you could sit back on the dock while standing on the large flat rock and remove your tank before climbing up onto the dock.

BE SURE TO DIVE THE PIER. This was one of my favorite divesites ever.

I hope this report was useful. If I can answer any questions feel free to ask.

Ed

Last edited:
Thank you so much for posting this information. I have been mulling over visiting St. Croix as a dive destination. Your description of the marine life was so helpful!

Thanks for the post. We are heading there next week. We will have a boat and plan to do a number of dives on our own. I wasn't sure how much to emphasize the pier, but based on this I'm adding a dive to my original plan of one day and one night dive. I'm taking my camera so hopefully I'll have some good critter shots to post when I return. It looks like the tradewinds have settled in and they will be light next week so hopefully we have good viz.

Maybe it's because I love macrophotography, but I could have dived the pier every day, four times a day and have been happy (and with virtually no risk of DCS!). Sure, I had a good time on the boat dives as well, but DEFINITELY do the pier.

We had bad weather that blew out our boat dives on the eastern part of the Island, so we ended up doing more than planned, but that was fine with me...

I have been on dives like that in curacao (the mushroom forest) that are always a wow.
I see you're a Doctor? Would like to bring up some conversation on a barnacle scrape I had last year wrapping the pilings on my dock.

I see you're a Doctor? Would like to bring up some conversation on a barnacle scrape I had last year wrapping the pilings on my dock.

Pediatric ear, nose and throat, so I probably don't know much more than you do about barnacle issues... sorry!

Back
Top Bottom