Grenada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thinking about taking my family on a vacation to Grenada. We are a family of 4 and my daughters are 12 and 14.

Questions:
How does the diving compare to other places we have been in the passed? (Roaton, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Nassau)
Is there any good shore dives?
Which dive shop would you use?
Do you think it is safe for hiking and shopping on our own?
How is the food?
Any other information you think is important to know about Grenada?

Thanks you for your time and information!

I vacation in Grenada, and I work in the dive business. I find the locals to be very friendly, the diving is good, not awesome, but you could put me on a sandy bottom and I'd be happy as a clam. Grenada is better known for wrecks than walls. Hiking and shopping you and your daughters will be completely safe, but it's hard to walk along the roads because someone wants to pick you up and give you a ride.

I use Aquanauts Grenada and stay at the True Blue Bay resort. Not too far from the airport and close to St. Georges. The food at the resort is what you are used to and a little expensive. There are plenty of alternatives (burgers, pizza, steaks, fine dining) within a walk or short (3-10 minute) cab ride away.

I have never seen shore diving. You wouldn't want to go too far from the boat, the currents can be more than you want to swim against.

Thanks for your help Wookie. Now I just need to convince the wife.

Thought I'd reply to this as I have been to Grenada off and on the last 12 years. Been there about 8 times. Got married there (then later divorced back in the U.S. haha), became an instructor there, and have sent quite a bit of stuff down to donate to an orphanage as well as several computers to a school, and my trips are almost always several weeks+. My answers to your questions are below.

Questions:
How does the diving compare to other places we have been in the passed? (Roaton, Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Nassau):

-Depends what you prefer to dive. There are a lot of really amazing wrecks. Don't miss the opportunity to check out the Bianca C. I dive it every time I'm there. I also really like the Veronica due to the abundance of life around it. The underwater sculpture park is neat too. There is plenty of diving to be had and many of the wrecks aren't too far.

Is there any good shore dives?
-Like Wookie, I've never seen anyone shore dive in Grenada and I've been all over the island.

Which dive shop would you use?
-Devotion 2 Ocean and Aquanauts are both great operations. D2O is connected to The Rex (actually I think it's formally called The Grenadian operated by Rex Resorts). I wouldn't stay at that particular hotel as it is a bit high end and a little far from Grand Anse and St. George's but the dive shop is excellent and all of the staff is incredible. I did my IDC there. Aquanauts has a shop at True Blue. I have spent time at True Blue with family that was staying there (I was staying at a different location). They love it. You can get deep discounts there at SkyAuction. Seems to me they've never paid more than around $70/night there. Both dive shops are great and I don't recommend one over the other. Dive with both and get a feel for them. Hopefully the Course Director of D2O will be around for you to meet. Her name is Ruth Collymore. She's a lot of fun to be around!

Do you think it is safe for hiking and shopping on our own?
-Yes. There are quite a bit of vendors and they can, at times, try your patience. I've never seen one get violent. St. George's is always pretty busy with lots going on. Many nights there will be guys with BBQ carts out selling chicken. You'll be safe walking around at night in those locations. I've walked down more off-the-beaten-path places at night. Use common sense. I wouldn't suggest it with your wife and daughters and I'm usually armed when I do it (but the machete's primary purpose is as a tool, not for defense). It isn't a Grenada thing, it's an everywhere in the world thing.

How is the food?
-I do a LOT of spearfishing when I'm in Grenada so it's super fresh and delicious. The nice part about Grenada is they have local culture (unlike Roatan, for example). I adore an item called the "roti". They come in vegetarian, chicken, and lambi (conch) most commonly. It's got vegetables, lots of curry, and is put together in a dough that is cooked. It's hard to describe and I'm not a chef. I just know these are DELICIOUS. Fish is always fresh. Nothing beats having fresh fish with fresh fruits and tea for breakfast. I exclusively eat sea life when I am there.

Any other information you think is important to know about Grenada?
Lots. But in terms of the major things:
-U.S. Dollars are easy to get around with. You'll get your change in EC so you won't have to worry about converting.

-I always rent a car when I am there, if you decide not to, there are plenty of taxis alllll over the place. Public transportation is suitable as well, but whatever you do, do not board a bus when you aren't at a bus stop. I know two people who did that, 75 feet from a bus stop, and the police pulled the bus over and made them get off. Don't ask me why, I've never understood that one...

-If money is no object to you, try eating at The Aquarium. It'll set you back a ways, but MAN it's good stuff. They also sell cuban cigars if that's your thing.

-When visiting the Carenage in St. Georges, make a point of eating at The Nutmeg. Economical, delicious, great place for a roti if you don't want to find a hole in the wall a few streets over.

-I like to recommend staying at The Gem Holiday Beach Resort. Usually it's around $80ish a night. I like it because it's a full apartment, great views if you get a room in the front which includes a balcony. I love having a kitchen. I've never had problems doing a BBQ on the beach too. I like the bar as well. It isn't everyone's cup of tea though. Yes, there is a club on the property that I've been in but is pretty much exclusively frequented by locals. Friday nights it stays lit up pretty late. Some people get upset by that sort of thing. If you are one of them, then you might not want to stay there. True Blue is nice but they will also have events at the restaurant downstairs. I would NOT recommend the Flamboyant (bland considering its name), or Grenada Grand Beach (too Holiday Inn-ish for me and really expensive). Hotels range from around $70/night to several hundred a night. There's something for everyone.

-When you go into town, wear pants. You will stick out like a sore thumb and look foolish wearing swim trunks around town (I've seen it). Locals in Grenada know how to dress nicely. While you won't be hassled for wearing shorts (in most places...I wouldn't try walking into a bank like that...), you will definitely be targeted much more by vendors

-Getting trinkets and taxis around where the cruise ships come in will cost significantly more than elsewhere (common sense)

-MUST SEE ATTRACTIONS: Annandale Falls (take swimwear, you'll likely want to get in), the nutmeg factory in Grenville, Grand Etang Lake (don't suggest touching the mona monkey but he likes candy), pick up some awesome nutmeg soap from Arawak Islands off Maurice Bishop Hwy, Clarke's Court Rum Factory.

-I do a lot of shopping at Spiceland Mall for groceries. Dairy products are expensive so be prepared. Most other things are high too but dairy is highest. Buying local brands of stuff helps. Rum is priced really well. Clarke's Court is some of the best rum on the planet.

-When you leave the airport, don't be scared by how your driver gets around. Everyone drives like that in Grenada. I'd be MORE concerned if they WEREN'T driving like their hair was on fire.

-If you buy from vendors, which I have done quite a bit, haggle with them. They all have the same necklaces and stuff and if one doesn't want to play ball, someone else will.

-"Bug of the night", that "GLEEEET...GLEEEET...GLEEET" sound you will hear hundreds of during the night is actually a small frog...

Nice write up Todd! We are looking to head down in November.

You'll love it! Just so happens I'm wearing my Carib shirt today too lol! Which reminds me, if you're going to drink local beer, Piton is way better than Carib :p

Todd, do the dive shops pick you up at a dock or do you have to go to them?

How about Carriacou and Tobago Cays? How do they compare in terms of reef health, fish diversity, visibility, currents etc. to the "regular destinations" (Bonaire, Coz, Roatan)?

Todd, do the dive shops pick you up at a dock or do you have to go to them?

Aquanauts have two shops. The one at True Blue Bay Resort is as simple as walking down to the dive shop and boarding the boat. The dock wraps around half the shop so the boats are literally just outside the back door to the shop. Aquanauts has an operation on Grand Anse and D2O is at Grenadian by Rex Resorts. Both of them you'll have to walk out to the boat in shallow water. This is also true of Dive Grenada (also on Grand Anse).

If you aren't staying at the attached resorts but are nearby I know Aquanauts will send someone to pick you up at your hotel. With D2O you'll have to ask based on where you are staying. I was far enough away and had a rental car that I never bothered to ask. I don't use Dive Grenada so I have no idea if they will do pickups. I know they have close to no staff so I doubt it. They appear to have linked with the Flamboyant Hotel now which is a bit of a walk (and steep at that) to get down to the shop. I also wouldn't suggest Flamboyant so can't give you much info on DG.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2013 at 12:12 PM ----------

How about Carriacou and Tobago Cays? How do they compare in terms of reef health, fish diversity, visibility, currents etc. to the "regular destinations" (Bonaire, Coz, Roatan)?

Haven't done Tobago. As for Carriacou in comparison to Roatan I would say reef health is better (far less divers/boat traffic/etc), fish diversity slightly lower, visibility about equal or slightly greater, currents can vary pretty well depending on dive site. Both islands feature a pretty decent range of currents depending where you go so I suppose I'd have to say equal since the opportunity for drift diving is there, should you choose to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom