Curacao Dive Trip Report at Sunscape Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samsonlee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Stayed for a week at the Sunscape Resort in Curacao. You can see my detailed review at Tripadvisor of the hotel, but basically it was a very nice location, nice hotel with a nice beach and pool. The Carpile dive site was just outside the hotel boundary and was basically 5 minutes away which was great, beautiful site just out your front door. Downsides were loud music until 1030 at night when you just want to sleep and average food. If you're traveling with kids the Kids Club is free and they take good care of your children, but they don't show up on time which was an issue.

I dived with Ocean Encounters which has a dive shop on the premise. I thought they did a nice job and were very efficient. I would reserve early because the boats fill up quickly. They were flexible in terms of refunding money when I hadn't used all of my dives without a problem which I appreciated. The boats can be "cattle" like with some of the trips having 20 divers on board, but they let you get off first if you're more experienced and go down ahead of them with your buddy. they let you do your own profile and I got routinely 60 minutes of bottom time with plenty of air to sprare. They have Nitrox which is $10/bucks a tank. I also had a few trips with only 4 people as well.

Diving in Curacao, I chose to boat dive vs shore dive because I didn't want to rent a car and wanted to spend the least amount of time away from our kids. So we did a two tank morning dive via boat and were gone for about 3.5 hours. I think it you tried to do that shore diving you'd be gone longer but would have more flexibility about dive sites and times. I also didn't want to find parking and drag my equipment down to the beach as my wife has back issues and I'd be carrying two sets of equipment. From what I could see entry was pretty easy at most of the sites we went too, but they did look remote and I didn't see many cars around there.

Diving itself was ok. I though the fish population was pretty healthy but not as healthy as Bonaire. I thought the coral was pretty lush, the wall is a sloping wall down to about 100 feet in the areas I went. The Tugboat is overrated. Carpile was cool. Mushroom forest is overrated. I've dived in Asia and all over the Carribean. My own personal preference for Carribean sites would be Bonaire over Curacao, but I did not like the food on Bonaire at all. I've been to Grand Turk, Provo, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Barbados, Aruba, St John, etc. as well I'd say I like Cayman and Cozumel much better then the other places including Bonaire. If you just want to do a bunch of shore diving but don't mind crappy food then go to Bonaire instead of Curacao. I probably won't go back to Curacao. Again diving is very subjective, some people like certain things, and others don't. I do think the more "spoiled" you are and the more you see, the more it takes to impress you. I'm sure if I dived Curacao when I first started I thought it would have been awesome. I'm sure certain people would love Curacao, but I'd prefer Indonesia, Cozumel or Cayman. I'm still glad I went and crossed it off of my bucket list.

Thanks for posting. Curacao is one of my favorite destinations - glad you enjoyed it.

Any other recent reports on Sunscape Curacao? We are looking at it for November.

Samsonlee, could you elaborate on the kids club and how it affected your diving?
We're looking at the same situation and on a previous trip to the DR it completely didn't work out as scheduled.
Curious if you were able to make the morning boats?

That post was almost a year ago and from a quick check it looks like samsonlee only posts occasionally. Maybe you should send a PM. May also want to start a new thread asking for input on Sunscape.

I know nothing about Sunscape, but in general would say that doing only boat dives on/from the east side of the island and going to the "usual" dive locations (tugboat, mushroom forest, carpile, etc.) does not give sufficient insight into Curacao diving. It would be sort of like going to Scuba Club on Cozumel, only doing the shore dives there and then rating Cozumel diving on that basis. I am not saying there is anything wrong with boat diving on Curacao, or with diving on the east side, just that it misses a lot of Curacao diving.

Thanks JD.
I have a thread on diving with kids and it mentions Sunscape, but SamsonLee speaks specifically about my concern.
Will send him a PM.
I've done my share of shore diving, as well as Oostpunt and Klein curacao, so I have a pretty good idea what you are talking about. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom