Wetsuit for Curacao mid January & 100 other questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sask

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be in Curacao from January 20-30. Any idea if a shorty is good or do I need to bring a 3m full wetsuit?

Also we rented a villa at Boca Gentil in the [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Jan Thiel area. I see there is a dive op there, are they good or is there someone nearby that is better? We have one diver, one who is taking their course while there and three others who are looking to snorkel. Any great snorkel spots nearby? Anyone who will be is our area and looking for a dive buddy? Thanks,[/FONT]

Tugboat is the most famous snorkel site on Curacao - it's fairly close to that area. 17' deep. Tug Boat / Dive Sites / Diving & Snorkeling / Attractions and Restaurants / Home - Curacao Mid-morning we watched a cruise excursion drop over 50 people on it. You can also dive the wall to the south but currents can be a problem there. Bring everything as the dive school there closed a few years ago and it's now deserted.

Directors Bay is also supposed to be good snorkeling - never been there.

Not nearby but the north side of Playa Jeremi made the Frommer's? list of top 10 Snorkel sites in the Caribbean a few years ago. At least a 1/2 hr. drive west though. And bring everything - one of few sites on Curacao with no amenities. If you do drive up there, snorkel at Playa Lagun nearby also - might see some turtles. Discover Diving is there as well as a couple of food options. Both Lagun and Jeremi are also among the best dives we did all week.

We also found turtles in the shallows (6') at Varsenbaai but some of it might be a little too deep to snorkel. If you dive there, head south - the pontoon boat (it's a pretty big boat) used to create the carpile dive sites sits on the wall at 80' there. Slightly deeper is the 2nd carpile site itself. They're pretty decomposed so don't make a special effort.

Hi Sask, I have been to Curacao 7 years and I opt for Hans at CURious2DIVE he also has facebook page he is on daily. He will tailor dives to your schedule and tastes. His shop is at the rotary to Jan Thiel (close by). There is awesome diving in your near vicinity. My favorite is tugboat wall, and the drift from directors bay to tugboat. I feel most those sights have at least ok snorkeling. You should spend at least one full day in Westpunt (the other side) diving/snorkeling with https://www.gowestdiving.com/ Dinner right up the road at Curacao Sunshine - Rental Property on the Island of Curacao The west end is quite different than the end you are on and honestly you should not miss it. I always wear a full 3mil and am comfy. Have a great time.

Thanks for the replies, -49 with the wind chill today I think I am ready for some warmth! I think I will take both my 3 mil and shorty as the first couple of days should seem pretty warm. The day I leave our club is doing a ice dive if it warms up to a balmy -10 but I think I am ok with skipping that for Curacao.

Hi Sask!! I remember those days living in Regina travelling up and down the #1!! Happy to be living here on Curacao now!! These days the water temp is around 80-82 depending but since this is our too, the air temp is a little cooler. But for you... a 3mm should be perfect! Thanks Irie for the plug too! Westpunt is certainly worth the day trip... Whether you are interested in shore or boat dives or just chillin on a few beaches! A few "hot spots" to consider would be Watamula, Rediho, our house reef "Alice in Wonderland" and of course having lunch or dinner at SOL FOOD!! Anyways, if you would like more info, please do not hesitate to reach out to me! Always happy to assist. BTW... for diving in the east, Check out Mark at Suzy at The Dive Bus! See you soon on Curacao!!

Thanks Bryan I will be sure to look you up. I do the daily commute between Moose Jaw and Regina, 200 m vis last night in blowing snow I bet you miss that!

Is is it pretty easy to buddy up at your shop for shore dives?

Hey Sask! Yes for sure, finding a buddy here at GO WEST Diving is pretty easy as it is one of the most popular shore dive sites! Failing that, it would be a pleasure to be your buddy!!

Missing the blowing snow, hoarfrost and mind numbing cold is sometimes missed... but not always as you can imagine!! :wink:

See you soon on Curacao!!

I'd go out to Westpunt (45min drive on the more direct route from the Jan Thiel area) on the day they boat dive Watamula. It's one of the best boat dives. Your non-dive friends can snorkel along the cliffs underneath Lodge Kura Hulanda - there's some interesting stuff there. Alice in Wonderland is one of the best dives we did all week - and we purposely did most of the "best" dives. I especially liked it going north - seemed a lot more vertical than a lot of Curacao. Go West has nice facilities also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom