Barbados diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry Goode

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been to all the good dive sites in The Caribbean. How does Barbados stack up to say diving The Caymans, Bonaire, Cozumel?

What hotels/resorts do you recommend? Was the vis good and was there a lot to see underwater?

What's the island like topside? Are there things to do?

Thanks.

Barry

Just like anything else , there is no point comparing anything against anything it is not. All the islands are different, you want to be underwater or you don't.
Barbados underwater - a set on Flickr
Not much in the way of all-inclusives as there is no point Island is safe and lots of stuff to do places to see, reasonable night life.
How much do you want to spend ? How much luxury do you need for the time spent there? Do you want a stay and dive package?
Do you have to have 100 ft vis? I want to see things 5 ft away from me not 100. There are a few recent reviews on the forums if you want to read them.
I like to dive with Dive Barbados Blue ? PADI Scuba Diving & Turtle Snorkeling at the Hilton when I am there.

Hi Barry, I've been to Barbados three times and received my certification (open water and advanced) there. I did my in pool training at home in Canada and had it not been for the truly great dive masters at Dive Barbados Blue I don't think I would have ever continued on with diving. Barbados has many great reefs and wrecks, most dives are drift with minimal currents. Soft and hard corals (depending on the reef) fish, turtles and rays. Visibility is typically very good. There are some deeper reefs (70-100'), yet even at depth, vis is good. The island itself is very beautiful with white sand beaches, all of which are public. It is easy and inexpensive to get anywhere on the island as there are 3 levels of transit. I'd recommend staying along the south coast as many great beaches, restaurants, shops, etc are within walking distance. I find the island to be safe, but of course, when travelling anywhere, always be mindful. The people are friendly but conservative, which some tourists perceive as rude or aloofness. They are not overtly 'sugary' because you are a tourist like you may find in other places. Most Bajans will treat you like an old friend and are kind and helpful. Don't expect to find a lot of All Inclusive resorts on the island. You may want to check the travel network on padi.com for hotel/dive packages. There are other options such as vrbo.com or driftwood.bb for a private vacation rental. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I'm actually here right now (for Christmas), I could only fit in a couple of dives (both reef dives, no wrecks), here is a video from what I saw: https://vimeo.com/82636864

Lots of coral, decent amount of fish, the only big thing I saw was a turtle. Not the best diving but I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the great info. I'm going to look into flights.

Barry

---------- Post added December 25th, 2013 at 05:40 PM ----------

Where would you suggest staying on the south end?

---------- Post added December 25th, 2013 at 05:41 PM ----------

Where do you suggest staying?

Hi again Barry,

I've seen a couple of accommodation/dive packages for Barbados on padi.com that you may want to check out and the prices look decent. Scuba Diving Vacations & Trips - PADI Scuba Diving Training Organization

I myself use vrbo.com for a vacation rental. I can provide you with specific links if a private vacation rental is something that interests you. However, these typically book up to a year in advance as they see many returning visitors. I think it says something about a place when you meet folks from all over the world that choose the same vacation spot year after year, which is what I encounter every visit I make to the island.

As for hotels, I have friends that enjoy staying at the Coconut Court when they go to the island. Other folks I have met while diving like staying at the Hilton, which is where Dive Barbados Blue is located, so it's extremely convenient for diving and it is located on a beautiful beach (although I've never encountered a beach that isn't beautiful there!). There is also a new AI called SoCo that I heard positive reviews from folks I met while there this past November/December. Both the Coconut Court and SoCo are located close to the south coast boardwalk which is convenient for restaurants, shops, etc. If you are interested in staying in an area with more bars and nightlife then you may want to look into hotels located in St Lawrence Gap. I myself go for relaxation and diving, so I can't give you any info on hotels located in the Gap.

I'm a big fan of Barbados and it's people. I have had nothing but positive experiences there. If you go, I hope you thoroughly enjoy yourself. If you want some suggestions for restaurants, I'd be happy to give you my $0.02 on that as well!

Hi again Barry,

I've seen a couple of accommodation/dive packages for Barbados on padi.com that you may want to check out and the prices look decent. Scuba Diving Vacations & Trips - PADI Scuba Diving Training Organization

I myself use vrbo.com for a vacation rental. I can provide you with specific links if a private vacation rental is something that interests you. However, these typically book up to a year in advance as they see many returning visitors. I think it says something about a place when you meet folks from all over the world that choose the same vacation spot year after year, which is what I encounter every visit I make to the island.

As for hotels, I have friends that enjoy staying at the Coconut Court when they go to the island. Other folks I have met while diving like staying at the Hilton, which is where Dive Barbados Blue is located, so it's extremely convenient for diving and it is located on a beautiful beach (although I've never encountered a beach that isn't beautiful there!). There is also a new AI called SoCo that I heard positive reviews from folks I met while there this past November/December. Both the Coconut Court and SoCo are located close to the south coast boardwalk which is convenient for restaurants, shops, etc. If you are interested in staying in an area with more bars and nightlife then you may want to look into hotels located in St Lawrence Gap. I myself go for relaxation and diving, so I can't give you any info on hotels located in the Gap.

I'm a big fan of Barbados and it's people. I have had nothing but positive experiences there. If you go, I hope you thoroughly enjoy yourself. If you want some suggestions for restaurants, I'd be happy to give you my $0.02 on that as well!

Is it true that there is a major insect problem on Barbados? I know someone who went many years ago and she told me her room got sprayed twice a day.

I heard about mosquito problems here, but haven't noticed much of anything in terms of insects..

Hi Barry, I've been to Barbados three times and received my certification (open water and advanced) there. I did my in pool training at home in Canada and had it not been for the truly great dive masters at Dive Barbados Blue I don't think I would have ever continued on with diving. Barbados has many great reefs and wrecks, most dives are drift with minimal currents. Soft and hard corals (depending on the reef) fish, turtles and rays. Visibility is typically very good. There are some deeper reefs (70-100'), yet even at depth, vis is good. The island itself is very beautiful with white sand beaches, all of which are public. It is easy and inexpensive to get anywhere on the island as there are 3 levels of transit. I'd recommend staying along the south coast as many great beaches, restaurants, shops, etc are within walking distance. I find the island to be safe, but of course, when travelling anywhere, always be mindful. The people are friendly but conservative, which some tourists perceive as rude or aloofness. They are not overtly 'sugary' because you are a tourist like you may find in other places. Most Bajans will treat you like an old friend and are kind and helpful. Don't expect to find a lot of All Inclusive resorts on the island. You may want to check the travel network on padi.com for hotel/dive packages. There are other options such as vrbo.com or driftwood.bb for a private vacation rental. Hope this helps!
Is there any shore diving in Barbados?

Back
Top Bottom