Upcoming Curacao Trip - Back is Out - Snorkel Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dierenarts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We were all set to go in 2 weeks and I've been side-lined with a nasty back issue (L3/L4 disk extrusion causing quite a femoral nerve pain affecting my left thigh.) Going for my second epidural steroid this Wednesday, but even with that carrying b/c, weight belt and tanks are probably out of the question. I suppose I could do the roll off boat thing and take off b/c and tank in the water and have someone else haul it up, but my wife will probably put a nix on that.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of great shore dives, but are they equally amenable to snorkeling i.e. close enough to surface to enjoy the sights? Suggestions welcomed!

Koen:depressed:

Roughly East->West

The Tugboat is a signature Curacao dive. The boat is 15" deep. With no working ship (or tied up) - the pier nearby is also a good snorkel.

I've heard Directors Bay is also but I've never been there. Any nearby sites should be - it's all in the Marine Park.

You can snorkel with turtles in 6' of water off Varsenbaai beach to the left but the better part is past snorkel depths - the ball marking the reef is at 40'. Where the turtles feed is just a flat sandy area though.

Porto Mari Beach to the south would be a good snorkel - not so much to the north.

Both sides of the rock cliffs at both Playa's Jeremi and Lagun are snorkel sites - the north side of Jeremi was written up in Frommers as one of the 10 best Caribbean snorkel sites a few years ago. One of few sites on Curacao with no facilities at all.

I've heard one of the "Knip" sites out west is supposed to have the reef starting just off the beach. IDK which one.

If you get all the way out to Westpunt go north from Playa Kalki - Go West Diving's dock - under the cliffs beneath Lodge Kura Hulanda. There's some really interesting rock formations there. In some areas the coral heads break the surface. Lots of flounder.

Snorkeling is mentioned in some listings here also: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Curacao/index.htm

If you do to try the "roll of the boat" thing - go look at Ocean Encounters fleet or Caribbean Sea Sports boats at the Marriott. Both have big swim platforms near the water.

Last edited:
Just a thought.... check out CURious2DIVE Hans leads dives with paraplegics and has carried my equipment due to knee issues on a couple more difficult entries. Good luck.

Very sorry to hear about your back problems... however as you say all is not lost if you are cool with snorkeling!! Some great additional locations from what is already been mentioned would be Cas Abou, Porto Marie (wonderful double reef), Daaibooibaai, & Blue Bay. Feeling adventuresome, then a little off the beaten track would be Playa Largu!! If you want to see turtles, check out Lagun and Playa Grandi (Playa Piskado) in the afternoon... fisherman come in with their catch and the turtles are attracted to the scraps tossed back into the sea.

Of course, there are snorkel trips that you could do as well! Such as the Blue Room/Black Sand Beach!! GO WEST Diving does this every Wednesday and Saturday afternoon!! Here is a link to a short clip of what you can expect!! Black Sand Beach & the Blue Room - YouTube

BTW... GO WEST is more than accommodating allowing gearing up/taking gear off in the water plus valeting if you want to consider diving... just let us know how we can assist in making the BEST out of your vacation here to Curacao!! More than happy to assist!!

Looking forward to seeing you here on Curacao!!

Good point Bryan when I dove with you guys the DM's on the boat were extremely helpful with several older divers on the boat. Sorry not to mention you guys "out west".

Thanks Bryan, we're going to make decisions day by day as the time comes. water temps nice enough to leave the wetsuit behind and save on weight? snorkeling I usually just use a UV type rash guard anyway but in case i'm up for sucking tank air

That's a bummer. When I was 18 and living on Curaçao, 42 years ago, I was in a nasty car accident and injured my back. I was working as a part time dive master at the time. I had the students carry my stuff in to the water and then we' dive. Swimming also is good for back pain btw. Hope you still have a nice vacation Koen!

PS a 3 mm shorty is nice on C.

Back
Top Bottom