Need Virgin Gorda advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc60625

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm seriously considering a Virgin Gorda trip later this spring with a few friends. It will be 3 couples comprising myself, my non-diving girlfriend, two other non-divers and two people doing their first cert/check out dives. As for operators, Dive BVI seems fairly ubiquitous and we'll probably go that route, however, i'm more interested in advice on what part of the island to stay.

Our plan is to rent a villa and ideally there would be some bars, beach bars, or restaurants within walking distance (if that even exists on VG). that said i'm resigned to the fate of having to rent a car or two. Based on this scenario any suggestions? stay south near the baths, close to/in spanish town, up on the north like leverick bay?

as always thanks everybody.

My wife and I have been to Virgin Gorda three times. We always stay at Mango Bay. It is very nice there. I even do shore dives some afternoons. Using a rental vehicle, nothing on the west end is all that far. Going to the other side of the island is a drive.

We do 2 morning dives each day. We get stuff to make our own breakfast. Often we just get something to grill for dinner. Or we go out and eat.

You really do not have to be within walking distance. The car rentals are not that high and the short drive means you can cram 4 into a car.

We did a trip to VG last year. Dove with Dive BVI (great operation) and stayed in a bungalow at Guavaberry Spring Bay. They have a nice beach that is like your own private Baths. I think you need a car to get around no matter where you stay. I don't recall any areas where you could stay an walk to many bars and restaurants. Most drives are pretty short to get somewhere. We drove out to Leverick Bay one day...quite a ride and we were not very impressed.

I think the Leverick Bay area would be too far also. Long ride back to town. There is a DiveBVI shop there but I think your non-dive friends would be spending a lot of time in the car - esp. if they plan to see the Baths etc. Worth going on friday night for the Beach BBQ though.

We rented a villa on Windy Hill - sort of SE of town. It's a pretty quiet area but reasonably close (we walked home one night) to town and the Baths. I think I'd look for something closer to the beach though - we were 12 so our options were more limited. The car rental place in town has larger SUV's or Suzuki mini-vans - we rented one but it was pretty underpowered on the hills.

Rock Cafe (nicer than it sounds) and Mine Shaft Cafe are worth checking out. Mineshaft had a buffet the night we were there, great views and mini-golf. Rock Cafe has some tables for larger groups set among the rocks (similar to the Baths since it's nearby) that were pretty isolated with pools of water, terraced decks etc. We liked it enough to go there twice. There's also a piano bar there. There's another place nearby with one of the best wine lists in the Caribbean - we didn't get there. Chez Bamboo was a nice Jazz/Dance club also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom