Mselenaous and NetDoc do Curacao with Go West! A trip Blog...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey gang,

Elena and I are off on another adventure together. We arrived last night here in Curacao on an American flight. Already, Lady Luck has been good to us. I am brought my new SplashBag on the trip to see how it works for us. We checked it and two other bags at MIA expecting to have to pay. They were way kind to us and sent all three bags on their way, no charge. Security was a bit slow, but I caught TSA off guard when I pointed at the worker at the end of the new style scanner and said "No laughing this time!" They showed me that they don't get to see our privates any more. The Scanner says pass or fail. Kewl. But they were still laughing at the comment as I walked away ungroped.

It was a direct flight to Curacao, and the plane was not crowded at all. Elena and I read our Kindle apps on our tablets. We ate the yummy snacks Elena had thoughtfully prepared so we weren't too gouged by the airline food prices. It was nice to see free carts at the baggage claim. Our Luck is still growing strong! Immigration and customs were the easiest I've seen. Wow. Their counterparts in the USA could learn something from them. Once that 3 minute episode was accomplished, we met one of our hosts, Lewis, as we exited the terminal.

It was a fun drive through the darkened streets of Curacao. We were headed up the spine of the Island through the rural area and parks. I was trying to get a grasp on where we were and the overall layout of the island. No, I hadn't done any homework before landing on Curacao. Elena and I landed with empty slates and had no idea what to expect. I had asked Elena if we would be on the water and she said "Honey, don't get your hopes up". But really, we have no idea what to expect. Dinner was at Daniel's Restaurant. That was incredible. The first thing I noticed were the trees. Even in the dark, they looked interesting and there was the faintest hint of honeysuckle in the air. There were a few bats chasing bugs under a lamp post and the place looked cool. We ate out on the veranda, where a cool breeze kept the temperature nice and the bugs down. As usual, I ordered our waitress' (Olga) favorite drink and since luck was on our side, I got White Sangria. It's not a sissy drink by any standard and is made with Vodka and other spirits. Yum. Dinner was more than pleasant and I am hoping that we make it back there before our trip is over.

Then it was off to Go West and the apartment we would be staying in. I don't know about you, but the word apartment gives me a certain concept of what to expect. Our luck would not allow that at this point. Our apartment has a bedroom, a sitting room, kitchen and a huge, gargantuan bathroom that boasts not only a shower but also a jucuzzi style tube. Yeah, we have a mosquito or two flying around, but they aren't all that aggressive. Maybe they're on vacation too? :D :D :D We were shown around the property by Roxy and I was more than impressed. Bryan, we might just be moving in here.

0204001.jpg

0204002.jpg

0204003.jpg

0204004.jpg

0204005.jpg

As I finish this up I have to disagree with my earlier self. So far luck has not really entered the picture. I get the impression that the good people of Curacao want us here. They really, really want us here. I'm sure that the tourism dollars are important to the economy, but I'm getting a far different vibe. They are simply happy to see us. We'll see if that continues or not, but for the moment we are enjoying their incredible and homey hospitality.

Gorgeous view and weathergods appear to be smiling! Enjoy your dives, drinks and dines, and thanks for the photos - Leslie

I'll be following your report. We are off to curacao in 6 weeks. Can't come soon enough, as KC is shut down with 8 inches of snow so far today.

Today was "Get acquainted with Curacao the Island" day. The apartment we are staying in is spacious with a well appointed kitchen in it. We were thinking of cooking in, especially for breakfast and lunch just to keep costs down and also because we really like our room. Breakfast at a nearby hotel cemented that fact: $52 for a crappy buffet. The scrambled eggs tasted like they were reconstituted. However, the atmosphere at the hotel was awesome and we even had a few avian guests and got to see our dive boat for tomorrow:

0204008.jpg

0204009.jpg

0204010.jpg

Elena decided to Google "Best Food Store in Curacao". Lo and behold, it brought us to this little know website where this seemed to be a hot topic just a few years ago...

How whack was that? So we followed the advice there and went to Centrum. We were quite impressed with the selection and the cleanliness. However, getting directions to something as simple as the bathroom was a bit dodgy. If you speak French, Papiamentu is a Creole based language. Happily, "ou a la toilette?" netted a response from the guard. Unfortunately, he only pointed. All we saw was a set of stairs. "Sur la escaliers?" Yes, was the answer and we went up and got this wonderful picture of the store:

0204006.jpg

Shopping done, we decided to head into Willemsted to get "Chippies" for our phones. This would enable us to access 4G data and be able to communicate easily with out hosts. We saw the name UTS almost everywhere we saw Chippies so we know what to look for. I have to say that we were navigating by the seat of our pants. No doubt about it, we are accustomed to having internet access. We forgot to find a destination before we left a wifi zone, so we wung it. "This looks interesting, turn left, Honey!" There is a lot to see on this Island and there is evidence of it's volcanic origins poking up all over the place. Verdant coverings give the Island a particularly lush appearance and there is wildlife everywhere. We headed down to the southern part of the island and the scene was awesome. Our phone cameras are having a hard time focusing at these speeds, so we don't have much for you in that regard. soon, we enter the city and happen to come upon what looks like a shopping mall next to baseball stadium. We turn right and almost immediately see a UTS store. Kewl. We find a spot for the car and head over to the store. It is uber crowded, but we have a mission and are patient. I think we are like the tenth in line. 45 minutes later we are negotiating for our Chippies. The deal is struck, and I hand over my phone. Ruh-roh. It's a Verizon. The clerk informs me that Verizons rarely work... they lock out other chips. She tries anyway, but to no avail. She tries Elena's phone. Nothing, nada and squat happen all over again. Frustrates we went to look for lunch...

Again, communications are a bit difficult. You have to find the right terms that the natives use. Neither of us speak Papiamentu, so we try French, Spanish and English. I asked a crossing guard for a close restaurant, and after I used the french pronunciation for the same word, his eyes light up. He points and gives us a few terse directions. We stop once more at a nice little boutique shop and the man tells us to go into the stone building. His eyebrows kind of dance big as he repeats "The stone building. Chu know it when you sees it." Well, I don't know what I was expecting from that description, but I wasn't expecting a fort turned into a shopping mall. What a cool juxtaposition this was, melding the new into the old:

0204011.jpg

0204012.jpg

0204013.jpg

0204014.jpg

Tomorrow: We dive!

Last edited:
Awesome,

Please keep the reports coming. . . I'm making my first trip to Curacao in late April

Bathroom is baño.

We go to Aruba a couple times a year so we have learned a little papiamento.

Have Fun!!

We will see you guys in Roatan.

It is such a great pleasure having you both here on Curacao and also to show you why we say GO WEST... to the BEST! Looking forward to seeing you today and also introducing you to the newest edition of the GO WEST Family.... Isabella! Enjoy getting wet today and see you later!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom