Tobago trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We spent a week in Tobago during the Carnival to take in some fun and diving. I'll focus on diving here.

We stayed in Crown Point at Sandy Point Beach Club, a timeshare and dove with Extra Divers both in Pigeon Point and Speyside. One thing to note is that both operations exercise 1hr surface time, which can mean that diving doesn't finish until 2pm. With traffic in Crown Point that side operation suffered more in delay.

At Crown Point we dove two days both on the Atlantic side. The visibility varied but when it was good the diving was very nice. We saw some sting rays, a couple of which were very large, various eels and a couple of nurse sharks at Divers Dream. The drift was not too challenging. The surface condition was somewhat rough though. The diving boat was really just a normal fishing boat with a ladder to come up on. I had to take off my BCD to get back on to the boat, and even then I found it challenging being 5' 2. The boat has no shade so plenty of sunscreen and hat are recommended.

At the Speyside location the boat is larger and fitted out better for diving though I believe no nitrox is offered at this location. There is a lot of soft coral around here. The drift ranged from comfortable to somewhat having to focus. The stronger drift location that we dove, the Bookends, was the highlight of the trip where several large tarpons could be seen. Visibility was variable day to day.

In all dives the divers were matched according to their experience so we (both with 150+ dives) didn't feel like we had to dive to the ability of the least experienced divers. It was ensured that everyone has SMB for the dives where drift was an issue. In summary, diving was good on both sides with Speyside offering more variety and ease at least for prep and exit. Both operations seemed very safety conscious.

So overall we did enjoy the diving in Tobago. As mentioned several times by others if we were to return we would stay in Speyside or Charlotteville but Carnival experience was fun too.

Couple of questions for you.

How does diving Tobago stack up against other dive destinations you've been to? Both for quality of diving, and the overall value (cost of the total trip for what you get)?

Is there any particular reason you'd preferentially go back there, vs. other destinations you may consider?

You mentioned the 1 hour surface interval, which seems a bit long, and getting done mid-afternoon. How many dives/day did you have the option to do with these guys?

Richard.

P.S.: Your profile currently lists your dive history as:

Bermuda
Tenerife
Colombia Cartagena

Definitely not what I'd call usual 1'rst tier dive destination choices in the Caribbean. Interesting! Then again, it puts you at under 50 dives, yet you mentioned you now have over 150.

From OP's report, the diving doesn't sound too impressive, whereas I'd always understood it to be special. Tobago has long been on my list but maybe I should move it down the list a bit?

Dr Rich,

Below are the places I've dived so far in addition to the ones in my profile:

Bahamas - liveaboard
Little cayman
Cozumel
Roatan
Utila
Maldives - liveaboard

Out of the places I've dived Tobago was one of the better Caribbean destinations with great colors. If we werent in Maldives last year i might have been more impressed! However from what we understand sightings of hammerhead is very rare and manta again not common though while we were there one was seen out in Charlotteville so don't expect that you'll see then necessarily. On the other hand I guess we felt that we didn't spend enough time Speyside to get the full experience and dive the more strong current sites with better chance of seeing larger fish.

Extra divers is a German company so that might be why they practice hour surface interval. My max depth during the week was 90 feet with each dive around one hour. Because we finish around 2pm only 2 morning dives were offered. Night dive was offered a couple of times during the week. I believe there are some other outfits that finishes earlier in the day.

It's not as cheap as Utila or Cozumel however it's a beautiful island with a real sense of getting away from it all in the more remote parts. We also stopped by in Trinidad to see leatherback turtles lay eggs and would love to return to see the hatchelings.

Having said that it will be a while before we consider returning - there is much more to explore in the world.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi HJ,

How did you like the accomodations there? Resort and the dive center? Are they well organized and professional?
Anyone you´d recommend looking for when we get there?

Thanks for the info

Sandy point beach club is a timeshare so it was ok. However i wouldn't recommend staying in Crown Point. We drove out to Speyside for three days which is a long drive. People we talked to staying at Speyside inn where extra divers shop is located liked the place and the rooms are all ocean facing. Lots of Germans and other Europeans at the shop. Extra divers was very professional and well run so if you don't mind hour surface interval I would recommend them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report :) Im going to Tobago this weekend and hope to do some diving. It seems that Speyside is the place to go for better dives.

Any good recommendation for a diver operator in Speyside???? (I will have a car and will be staying in the upper Caribbean so I can drive up).

Any suggestions for Sisters dive sites? I heard an occasional Hammerhead shows up?

Cheers and thanks,
Matt

Thanks for the report :) Im going to Tobago this weekend and hope to do some diving. It seems that Speyside is the place to go for better dives.

Any good recommendation for a diver operator in Speyside???? (I will have a car and will be staying in the upper Caribbean so I can drive up).

Any suggestions for Sisters dive sites? I heard an occasional Hammerhead shows up?

Cheers and thanks,
Matt

I dove the sisters recently and it was beautiful... hammerheads have been rare for a little while up there... you'd be fortunate if you see one. Sisters usually require favorable weather so the dive operator would make that call.

I've only even really used a couple of boats up there but more like a taxi rather than guided dives with them so i'm not sure who's good

Thanks for the reply. I guess Ill ask around or just drive up ans see :) Cheers

Back
Top Bottom