condition of curacao reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bqualls

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about going to Curacao for the first time and did a little research on YouTube --- looks like quite a bit of coral bleaching and algae growth on the reputed best sites. Anyone?

It depends on where you dive. Curacao has a lot of dive sites +50, but there not all amazing, but some of them are!

Thanks Bas. I've read that Watamula, Mushroom Forest, and Alice... were some of the better sites. They looked ok on the vids I pulled up from the last couple of years, but not great.

The sites you mention are the better "marketed" sites :wink:. These sites are mentioned in every single magazine.....

I kinda agree with Watamula, but not with the other two.

IMO the sites are known to be the best because of discounted diving and stay for the writers of some articles and magazine or the amount of marketing of some dive-shops :)

I think Curacao has better diving to offer

Mushroom Forest actually did used to be really good, but it's reputation has outlived the site. Storms and probably diver traffic have taken their toll over the years, it's ok but I don't think worth going out of ones way for.

Alice was still a nice shore dive/house reef when we were last there maybe 3-4 years ago. But IIRC much better one direction than the other.

I was not impressed when I went there a few yrs ago. Could have gone back again, but decided to spend my hard earned money on some place better.

Diving the West end in January I found Kortape Point and Lagun to be in good shape (certainly compared to Mushroom Forest). Overall Curaçao ranks pretty well in bang for buck IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was not impressed when I went there a few yrs ago. Could have gone back again, but decided to spend my hard earned money on some place better.

Hmm. you must be spoiled.:D I suppose it is to each their own. I invited an experienced worldly diver and he thought Curacao was 2nd to a red sea local. We dove east and west with Curious to Dive and Gowestdiving each site was awesome.

Hmm. you must be spoiled.:D I suppose it is to each their own. I invited an experienced worldly diver and he thought Curacao was 2nd to a red sea local. We dove east and west with Curious to Dive and Gowestdiving each site was awesome.

Maybe I went to all the wrong sites... :idk:

i just returned from a few days diving with Bas Harts. The reefs we dove were all in great shape, the coral seemed very healthy. It probably helps to get to some of the more remote spots. Give Bas a shout, he can hook you up with a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom