Trinidad: South American dive site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Although listed here in the Caribbean due to its cultural affiliations, Trinidad actually rests on the same plate as northeastern South America. Therefore, geographically it should be considered as a South American dive destination. Given the same logic, Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba (which do not rest on the Soth American plate system) should be considered Euroean dive sites based on culture.

What is your view on this?

It's based somewhat on the country groupings here - not the plate it's on. Lesser Antilles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Lesser Antilles more or less coincide with the outer edge of the Caribbean Plate. Many of the islands were formed as a result of the subduction of oceanic crust of the South American Plate under the Caribbean Plate in the Lesser Antilles subduction zone. This process is ongoing and is responsible not only for many of the islands, but also for volcanic and earthquake activity in the region. The islands along the South American coast are largely the result of the interaction of the South American Plate and the Caribbean Plate which is mainly strike-slip, but includes a component of compression.

We had this discussion years ago when Laurens (El Orans) was setting them up. It was thought that most people think of Trinidad - and more importantly Tobago - and the ABC's as being in the Caribbean.

Greater Antilles is the same. The other odd one is Bermuda - it's really not in the Caribbean either. Just not accessed often enough here to have it's own listing.

My understanding is that Trinidad lies either wholly or largely on the South American plate while Tobago may be on the Caribbean plate. Certainly culturally they show greater affiliation with the other Antillean islands but I'm looking at this from a geographic perspective, not a cultural one.

Given the same logic, Bonaire, Curacao and Aruba (which do not rest on the Soth American plate system) should be considered European dive sites based on culture.
Yet the U.S. Dollar is the official currency of Bonaire...go figure.:D

Extending the logic Guadaloupe and Martinique should be European also since they speak French. And 1/2 of St. Maarten/Sint Martine is either Dutch or French.

Cayman Islands are a British Protectorate also afaik. Maybe even a Crown Colony...and what about the Falkland Islands - a British Overseas Terrritory.

I think we'll stick to "Greater Caribbean"...

People tend to consider that bunch of islands between the U.S. and South America, and the relatively calm, warm waters, as 'the Caribbean.' I don't think 1 diver in 100 knows what 'plate' it's on, or would think to wonder, and few indeed would care if told (and some would need you to explain what you meant by 'plate').

What's interesting to me, on the other hand, looking at it on the map, it that Trinidad is right off northern South American. That would tend to make me think of it like Cozumel is to Mexico. On the other hand, Tobago sticks out a little further, and with other Caribbean islands so close, in the human mind they can naturally be grouped together.

And the grouping here is for the diving public, not scientists.

Richard.

Last edited:
Trinidad and Tobago, officially the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, is a twin island country off the northern edge of South America, lying just off the coast of northeastern Venezuela and south of Grenada in the Lesser Antilles.

So it makes sense to group them together in the Greater Caribbean sub-forum.

I am looking to sweep all seven continents so continent affiliation is important to me in this. I look at it strictly from a geographic perspective, not from a cultural or political perspective. In a sense it is strange that the Galapagos are considered South American when they are so far off the mainland boundary of Ecuador and are on the border of the Nazca and Cocos plates rather than the South American plate (which Ecuador is on).

Keep in mind there are only SEVEN continents (although land masses that are not continents exist in open water around the world),

For South America - maybe consider:

Fernando de Noronha, Brazil

This archipelago of 21 volcanic islands and islets is a tranquil, off-the-beaten-path dive spot lying 200 miles off the coast of Brazil. Calm waters, a rich variety of marine life and a host of well-preserved shipwrecks, including the Brazilian Navy Ipiranga Corvette V17, make it one of the best places to scuba in South America – so it was an easy choice for our top spot.
Once underwater, divers enjoy crystal-clear waters with visibility of up to an impressive 45 metres, perfect for spotting dolphins, turtles, stingrays and coloured tropical fish.

The island chain makes up part of the mid-Atlantic ridge, an underwater mountain range stretching 15,000km through the Atlantic Ocean. Formerly 
a volcanic cone, its base lies 756 metres below the surface, so you’ll get to explore fascinating volcanic rock, caverns and coral formations.

As both Brazil’s first marine park and a Unesco World Heritage Site, more than 70 per cent of the island is protected. This includes tourist favourite Dolphins Bay, the world’s oldest, largest school of the mammals and a breeding ground for the acrobatic spinner dolphin (we kid you not). Nearby Projeto Tamar (tamar.org.br), a Brazilian environmental organisation, is worth checking out. Get involved, as the conservation centre is a good spot to witness cute, newly hatched hawksbill and green turtles take their first trip into the ocean.

And if you’re looking for a few more activities above the surface, you can go horse riding, dune buggying and surfing on the island chain, earning Fernando de Noronha the title “Hawaii of Brazil.”

What’s more, you, thankfully, won’t have to fight with hordes of other tourists for a relaxing dive trip – the secluded island promotes “sustainable tourism”, and only allows 420 visitors at a time. You’ll be able to enjoy its incredible marine life and natural wonders in peace.

The best time to visit is in the low season between April and November, when accommodation is cheaper.

Read more: Top five world's best scuba diving holidays - TNT Magazine
Follow us: @tntmagazine on Twitter | tntmag on Facebook

Fernando de Noronha has been on my bucket list for about a decade as has Abrolhas. Will do the Galapagos in the next year or two, but I'm still quite curious about Trinidad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom