BVI Best Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going on a family sailing trip to the BVIs for a week in November. Definitely diving on the Rhone, but if you have to pick 2-3 more sites to dive, what would they be? Which shop would you use? We would be using shops that pick us up from our sailboat.

If it was just the divers of the family, we'd dive the full 6 days, plus a night or two, but we need to be considerate of the others and not let diving monopolize the trip (ugh!) :wink:

Painted Walls
Seal Dog Rock/somewhere in The Dogs
The Indians - best snorkel in the BVI's also.
Fish Bowl/The Chimney
Red Bluff Point/Thumb Rock
Blonde Rock
Ginger Steps
Bronco Billy's with lights - even during the day. Otherwise you'll think it average.
Dry Rocks East - Advanced
Vanishing Rock with someone who can tell if it's divable that day.

Do both dives on the Rhone. Usually you'll change moorings since the back is a healthy swim from the front. I personally like it better.

We used DiveBVI but depends which side of the channel you're on - makes little sense for sites near Jost Van Dyke or west Tortola for example.
Rendezvous Diving | Dive BVI

bviscuba.org lists all your options. We were there in spring so IDK if conditions change in Nov.

Gotta stop at the Willy T also... Welcome to The William Thornton - Floating Bar & Resturant

and the Baths on Virgin Gorda. I believe you can moor nearby and snorkel in. Beats walking down the trail.

My favorite dive from our trip was the Chikuzen, but they can't always dive it because it's very exposed.

Thanks so much! As plans firm up, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions :)

Also, this could potentially be the trip where I hit my 100th dive :D

Chikuzen is (or used to be, anyway) absolutely epic. My favorite dive there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mountain Point (?) and Dive BVI. Great place

Mountain Point (?) and Dive BVI. Great place

same here w/mountain point and wall to wall. the airplane wreck is kinda fun as well.

dive bvi is the shop to use without question. they have multiple locations on virgin gorda and also at scrub island resort.

i am trying to workout the particulars with doing a divemaster internship with dive bvi in july/aug and couldn't imagine doing it anywhere or with anyone else.

Most of the dive ops prefer to stick to the mainstream sites, but I tend to prefer the less frequently dived ones (if you can persuade them to go there). If I had to pick five dives other than the Rhone I would probably go with:

• The Chikuzen (BTW, Dive BVI do the Chikuzen every Thursday, depending upon weather)
  • Santa Monica Rock
  • Twin Towers
  • Devil's Kitchen
  • Blonde Rock

Good luck and have fun!

---------- Post added June 7th, 2014 at 09:44 PM ----------

PS. You may want to try this link: Scuba diving in the British Virgin Islands travel guide - Wikitravel

I second that....it was quite the experience. We saw the resident Goliath Grouper (Jewfish) that is about 400 pounds. My dive buddy also lost one of his fins and we were almost out of air because the current was pretty strong and we had to try to get back to the boat, the wind had picked up and the waves were huge. BTW, we were all 16 year olds on a liveaboard and our instructors let us sort of do this one on our own. (Odyssey Expeditions, best experience of my life but I think only for young people)...I have vivid memories of that dive over all the others...
Another one I remember is the dawn dive we did...it was right around the corner from Sandy Spit...can't remember the name of the reef but it was memorable just because of the sun shining down through the water as it came up....
Oh my gosh, getting goosebumps....you are going to have such a magical time in a truly magical place!!!!

My favorite dive from our trip was the Chikuzen, but they can't always dive it because it's very exposed.

---------- Post added June 18th, 2014 at 10:23 PM ----------

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom