St Maarten and surrounding islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are heading to St Maarten in August on a non-diving vacation (2 of the 4 don't dive). 2 of us will do some limited diving, likely three days of two tank dives. Looks like Octopus is the choice on the island. Local other options I've seen are St Barths, Saba and Anguilla, which all have day ferries. We would likely only do one of them, but more if there are non-dive activities there for the others.

What would be our best overall choice(s)?

Well I can only speak for Saba and the only thing really to do for the nondivers is to go on a guided hike or to take an island tour. But probably Saba is the best island to dive from those three options. However, I would check out aquamania-they run daytrips to different islands and offer activities for divers and nondivers Home - Aqua Mania Adventures - St Maarten

Statia is awesome. no ferry. 15 min flight from st maarten. Golden rock dive center. make it an overnight trip, you wont be disappointed.

Saba and St Barths are 2 great places for both divers and non Divers. I spent a few months out there working, but my favorite diving has to be on Sint Maarten it self there is a great deal to do on the island and you can make a day trip Via ferry to both Barths and Saba, Saba is great for a day trip and the hike is worth it. If you decide to do some diving on St Maarten, Ocean Explorers was the best diving I had during my time there.

I agree with vicky-g that there isn't much to do on Saba UNLESS the non-divers like to hike. Saba has more different kinds of plant like in such a small area than anywhere else I know. Everything from elfin cloud forests with tree ferns so large you'll expect to see velociraptors to quite dry conditions on the windward side of the island. Plus, several of the trails on the island follow the old walking roads, which was the only way to get around on Saba until the 1950s.

Great hiking on Saba; the paths are well enough signposted that I don't think you need a guide. Healthy, large fish and interesting topography. Note: the pinnacles start pretty deep. You need to be AOW, and if using nitrox, decide how close you want to cut it with the PO2. Can't think of a beach option. Wide choice of good restaurants.

Loved the hiking on St. Eustatius even more: both the cloud-forest crater walk and wandering around historic Oranjestad. There are small beaches where snorkelling is an option. The diving offers the same healthy fish; shallower water by and large; again, volcanic topography; and wrecks.

Have read varied opinions on whether you should wait the statutory 18 hours before taking the little puddle-jumper flights (we did, but then we were overnighting in Saba and in Statia -- two separate trips). The landing on Saba is a bucket experience.

Who should we use for a day-trip dive on Saba? Going to St Maarten in January for a meeting....

Why would the non-divers want to leave the island when you have the beaches like in Saint Martin?

Why would the non-divers want to leave the island when you have the beaches like in Saint Martin?

Variety. We like exploring and seeing new places and things. We're not a family that stands pat. We try to go somewhere new every year, and try to see something new every day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom