St Thomas August 7-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vannsbtch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is the first time I have gotten to go to the Virgin Islands, we are staying at Marriott Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Beach Resorts. Were not there very long (5 days) but wanted to try diving at least once while we are there. We dive in Cozumel every year and bring our own gear. But since we aren't going to be in the USVI long we aren't going to bring our own gear. Who do you guys recommend diving with?

Also we are going to be on vacation and we enjoy the night life, do you guys have any recommendations on where to go out at night? We plan on renting a boat during the day and going to the other islands. But where is the party at?

If you plan to go to any of the other islands besides St. John - bring your passports. The BVI's frown on people just showing up on Jost van Dyke or Tortola - or any of the good channel island dives like Norman, Cooper, Salt (the Rhone) etc. All of which are in the BVI's.

The Marriott has kind of a meh dive operator from what I've read - they do the cruise traffic also. Better to take the short drive to Bolongo Bay and dive with St. Thomas Diving Club - or a short distance farther to Red Hook and Red Hook Diving. Or Admiralty or Blue Island Divers in town - a short drive the other direction.

The "party" some nights will be at Duffy's Love Shack in Red Hook -
Dubbed the coolest parking lot bar in the Caribbean
Duffy`s Love Shack There's also Iggies at Bolongo Bay nearby but I haven't seen it at night. Home » Iggies Beach Bar If Molly Malone's is still open in Red Hook it's a good locals afternoon drinking bar. Just across from Red Hook Diving also - same building. So that would be convenient...

One fun thing to do since you'll have the boat is to go island bar hopping. You'll first have to cross to the BVI's and clear customs both ways (St. John is more convenient for this)but there's a lot of fun day bars you can go to. We chartered a boat to try to see how many we could hit in one day - our plan was one-two drinks per island. We managed at least 7 - after that things are fuzzy...we sort of exceeded the plan at some.

Some that were pretty fun - IDK exactly where some of these are since we left the driving to the captain - Pussser's Marina Cay, Foxy's, the Willy T, (floating ship bar), Jumbies at Leverick Bay. Soggy Dollar Bar looks oddly familiar also. Here's a complete list more or less: British Virgin Islands | Beach Bars At some you can moor off and swim in - at a couple the shallow reef makes that a very bad idea.

One thing to kind of notice is that many of them are on opposite sides of the channel between Tortola and Virgin Gorda. Many on Jost Van Dyke. Or the little islands south of VG. I wouldn't go to Biras Creek or those in that area - too far removed from everything else. So you kind of have to pick one side or the other to minimize your travel time. Or rent a fast boat. IMO the Anegada bars are too far from everything else - it's north of Tortola by a considerable distance.

For this last one, I'm not responsible if you don't get back - or wake up on the beach the next morning next to strange people. Maybe not even on the same island that you started on. So here goes:

Bomba's Shack on Tortola is legendary. Google it. He throws epic full moon parties. One is August 10th. It's not uncommon for famous celebrities that are staying at Biras Creek, Little Dix Bay or Necker Island (Richard Branson's place) to cruise over for one. Mushrooms may also be involved in some capacity. Bomba's Surfside Shack on Tortola, British Virgin Islands

I'd recommend Admiralty for diving. For eating/drinking, Hook, Line & Sinker.

And don't forget Painkillers at Pussers...ahh fresh grated Nutmeg. Anyone have experience with Coki Dive?

i did 4 boat dives with coki dive. they are a smaller operation, but everything is run pretty well. i rented gear with them and it was in good shape. they seem to have a lot more people doing DSD from the cruise ships than anything else.

Awesome! Thanks so much! I am going to look into all of these. I don't mind waking up on a remote island. Well I say that but that sand never gets off of you!!! I am going to print this up and start looking

If you plan to go to any of the other islands besides St. John - bring your passports. The BVI's frown on people just showing up on Jost van Dyke or Tortola - or any of the good channel island dives like Norman, Cooper, Salt (the Rhone) etc. All of which are in the BVI's.

The Marriott has kind of a meh dive operator from what I've read - they do the cruise traffic also. Better to take the short drive to Bolongo Bay and dive with St. Thomas Diving Club - or a short distance farther to Red Hook and Red Hook Diving. Or Admiralty or Blue Island Divers in town - a short drive the other direction.

The "party" some nights will be at Duffy's Love Shack in Red Hook - Duffy`s Love Shack There's also Iggies at Bolongo Bay nearby but I haven't seen it at night. Home » Iggies Beach Bar If Molly Malone's is still open in Red Hook it's a good locals afternoon drinking bar. Just across from Red Hook Diving also - same building. So that would be convenient...

One fun thing to do since you'll have the boat is to go island bar hopping. You'll first have to cross to the BVI's and clear customs both ways (St. John is more convenient for this)but there's a lot of fun day bars you can go to. We chartered a boat to try to see how many we could hit in one day - our plan was one-two drinks per island. We managed at least 7 - after that things are fuzzy...we sort of exceeded the plan at some.

Some that were pretty fun - IDK exactly where some of these are since we left the driving to the captain - Pussser's Marina Cay, Foxy's, the Willy T, (floating ship bar), Jumbies at Leverick Bay. Soggy Dollar Bar looks oddly familiar also. Here's a complete list more or less: British Virgin Islands | Beach Bars At some you can moor off and swim in - at a couple the shallow reef makes that a very bad idea.

One thing to kind of notice is that many of them are on opposite sides of the channel between Tortola and Virgin Gorda. Many on Jost Van Dyke. Or the little islands south of VG. I wouldn't go to Biras Creek or those in that area - too far removed from everything else. So you kind of have to pick one side or the other to minimize your travel time. Or rent a fast boat. IMO the Anegada bars are too far from everything else - it's north of Tortola by a considerable distance.

For this last one, I'm not responsible if you don't get back - or wake up on the beach the next morning next to strange people. Maybe not even on the same island that you started on. So here goes:

Bomba's Shack on Tortola is legendary. Google it. He throws epic full moon parties. One is August 10th. It's not uncommon for famous celebrities that are staying at Biras Creek, Little Dix Bay or Necker Island (Richard Branson's place) to cruise over for one. Mushrooms may also be involved in some capacity. Bomba's Surfside Shack on Tortola, British Virgin Islands

One thing I forgot to mention is that clearing customs on St. John is only for returning. We cleared into the BVI's on Virgin Gorda but we went directly there from Red Hook via private boat. You'll need to go to Road Harbour or Soper's Hole on Tortola - or Great Harbor on Jost Van Dyke - to clear first to enter the BVI's if you rent a boat on St. Thomas. Didn't take much over 10-15mins. Ports of Entry (by Sea) in the British Virgin Islands | BVI Tourism

I'm not really sure what paperwork you'd need since our captain collected our passports and did that for us. It didn't seem like much. They get all sorts of private sailboats sailing there regularly so it must be pretty standardized. Your boat rental operator must know. Rent a fairly big boat if you're planning to go between islands - it gets a little choppy sometimes. Ours was in the 30' range - a sportfisher. Another option is to do the initial crossing by fast ferry. Many of those leave from Red Hook. Not too many run late though. Virgin Islands Ferry Schedule

We were staying on Virgin Gorda so modify this accordingly but what we did is run over to Roadtown on Tortola for supplies then go south. I'm pretty sure we stopped in Nanny Cay, Soper's Hole, headed over to Jost Van Dyke and circumnavigated it, then went north up the backside of Tortola - Bomba's is there - then continued north around to (I believe) Scrub Island and definitely Marina Cay b4 cutting back across. You might run it the other way as that will put you closer to St. Thomas at the end of the day. The Willy T is off Norman to the east of St. John some distance so I'm not sure if it's worth the travel time - we went there separately one day. http://williamthornton.com/ Nothing is too far if you rent a fast enough boat though...

I'm currently in St. Thomas and dove with Admiralty Diving. I would recommend them, I brought my own gear, but the rental equipment looks well maintained and Duane is a very experienced guide. They will pick you up from the Marriott no problem and set all of the gear up before each dive. St. Thomas Diving Club also got very good reviews, but from what I saw and from what Duane has told me they are more of a learning to dive type shop (a load of their reviews start w/ "learned to dive and loved it") and they stick to a lot of the safer more shallow reefs on the north and East side of the island (where they are located). If you want to do the more advanced wreck dives near the West Side (WIT Concrete, Miss Opportunity) I would stick with Admiralty or Blue Island Divers. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Currently working in St. Thomas, got a couple nights snorkeling, decent, saw squid, Southern ray, normal reef fish. Snorkeling St. John with some co-workers was pretty awesome - Waterlemon Cay and Trunk Bay. Huge silverside bait balls obscur the bottom with tarpon and bar jacks cruising through them during the day. Waterlemon is about 1.5 mile hike from road so pack your walking shoes. Did a shore dive from Coki Beach w/ Coki Dive (hi Brian!) yesterday. Got 75 minute dive in, shallow, I think 55 feet max mostly 30 foot range. Current is kind of strange, glad I had a guide. Nice black and cup corals around Coral World point. Apparently not many divers get over that way. Normal Carib critters (lobster, eel, arrowcrab, snapper, Bermuda chub, parrot...) Won't get out on the boats this trip, will be back for a few more weeks.

BE CAREFUL - my co-workers have had numerous issues with credit card numbers being compromised, especially in Red Hook area.

Drinking and dining at Pesce, XO, Duffy's all in Red Hook and Sapphire Village Bar (good burgers, reasonable prices) and Off the Grid food truck at the top of Sapphire Beach. Joes' Rum Bar on St. John has great drinks and a view post hiking and snorkeling. Food looked great, but we didn't eat.

awesome, thanks guys, we are leaving next Thursday. I might see about not using a CC, I might see if we can do cash the entire time. Just leave it in the safe at the hotel. I cant wait to get there!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom