Automatic tipping for to-go orders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Para Goon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm vacationing in Bonaire right now, and ordered pizza to go from Rum Runners. I paid with my credit card. By the time I got back to my room, I received a text regarding the charge. Which happened to be exactly 10% more than what I authorized. Since it was a to-go order, I didn't authorize a tip. I rarely tip to-go orders unless I've experienced good service when picking it up. Which didn't happen when I picked up the pizza.

I'm trying to decide if I should stop by there to discuss the matter, or just let it ride.

Is it customary to tip for to-go orders in Bonaire?
Has anyone else experienced this here?

I can’t speak specific to Bonaire, but in the US, most restaurants do exactly like gas stations and pre-authorize an amount over what the actual bill is to make sure you can pay the bill + tip (should you decide to leave one as most people do). Give it a few days, see if it resolves to what you thought you paid, then take it from there.

Contest the charges with your bank! They can't legally add anything to what you signed for and agreed to.

Never automatically contest charges, always discuss with the merchant first. Unless they were rude/mean/evil to you and you just want to hurt them. Contested charges hurt the merchant much longer term than just one reversal. Give people the benefit of the doubt and understand how charges/authorizations work at businesses like restaurants and gas stations.

Unless you're just trying to make a point, a chargeback will probably cost more than the 10%. I'd probably call the manager. They'll likely give you a free dinner tonight as a consolation prize.

There is a difference between an authorization and a charge. Consumer don't typically see authorizations, but they can see charges. Usually only talking to the CC rep will you find out about a authorization.

If the OP saw the charge, he saw the charge, IE the amount that was charged to his card, he couldn't have seen an authorization higher than the charge. Personally I have no problem with helping out a merchant with a phone call 1st for something that is a mistake. However, based on what he said I doubt that's what it is.

In the event you are still in Bonaire, it might be worthwhile to swing by the restaurant to raise the issue and eliminate the possibility that there is a sign noting that a 10% will automatically be added to all pick up orders or non cash transactions.

In the event you are still in Bonaire, it might be worthwhile to swing by the restaurant to raise the issue and eliminate the possibility that there is a sign noting that a 10% will automatically be added to all pick up orders or non cash transactions.
Good point many places outside US charge for credit card use. 10 seems high I usually see 4%.

I believe 10% is a standard add-on at Rum Runners, and in numerous other restaurants in Bonaire, plus Europe, etc.

I do not understand the statement about "the amount you authorized." Are you referring to the charge that you signed? If so, I believe that would normally have included the 10%.
I'd go back and talk to the manager (the big guy!) and say you want to pay the amount you signed for.....but I'd check first that the thing you signed didn't also say 10% would be added.

Last edited:
How much are Pizza's at Rumrunners anyway? $40? $50? So we're having this angst and discussion over $4-5?

Yet you gladly paid $25 to check your bag on the flight over. To an airline likely posting record profits because of it.

And gave the porter at the check-in counter at your origin that much or more to do his job...

If we assume the OP was there for a week it's a moot point now anyway since he went home last Saturday...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom