BVI - Norman Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All!

We're planning to dive while on a sailing charter in November and our dive op told us the sites are determined by who books first. She suggested the following when departing from Norman Island:

Indians
Angelfish Reef
Ring Dove Rock
Spyglass Wall

If you've been to any of these sites, which would you choose?

We were already planning to snorkel the Indians from our sailboat. Is there a reason to dive this site rather than snorkel?

Thanks!

After 14 trips to the BVI, I can tell you that the Indians are not only a great snorkel, but also a great dive that you can do either shallow or deep with very interesting underwater topography. However be aware that it can also get a bit crowded due to its popularity among the charter crowd. Not a problem, just be aware.

Ring Dove is also very good when conditions permit, and you can always count on a nice dive at Spyglass if the current is ripping at other sites. But among the 4 sites you're considering, my favorite would be Angelfish!

My good friends at www.sailcaribbeandivers.com can either take you diving or hook you up with tanks & gear.

Wish I was there again....have fun!

I would agree with Sieg, Angelfish reef is where I like to do my first dive of the trip, get the dust off. You can wind your way thru rocky passes or go around outside and see just about anything. We usually dive from our boat with rental tanks. There are dive-use moorings on nearly all the usual sites, including those four you named. I have done the Indians as a dive but only when everything else is blown out, very rare. It is a good snorkel and free dive spot, if you don't mind snorkeling with 45 other people and 15 yachts moored up there. I avoid it mostly now, victim of it's own beauty.

Go early on all the most popular sites; when the dive shops get there it's too late. As an example the Rhone is a magical site just after sunrise with night critters still active, later in the day the cruise ship divers and dive shops arrive en masse and destroy the ambience; still an OK dive but....

Hi Sieg,

Does Sail Caribbean Divers limit dive times? We prefer a dive op that allows people to dive their tank (as most do, I would think...)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom