Saba Diving: Seasonal variations ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Guys: I just wanted to know if there is a preferred season for diving Saba? I was told that winter brings 120 plus feet of viz while summer brings half 60 feet of vis. Is that true? Thanks.

In a general way, you are correct. The water warms and gets a pinch cloudy in April and cools and clears again in November. On the other hand, winter storms in the north Atlantic send large swells to the Caribbean that can greatly mess up the visibility for days at a time. Overall, early April is about my favorite time to dive in the area, but my bias in this regard is minimal.

I'm at the airport leaving Saba as I type this. I would say the visibility the week I was diving was about 60 feet. A storm came through and the seas were rough which meant a lot of stuff floating around and clouding up the ocean.

Here is a picture I took on Monday at a site called customs house.

http://i.imgur.com/fg3Uo3C.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just happened to spot this post and wanted to thank you for the information. Our LDS travels to Saba in mid-October. Since we've spent Spring and Summer teaching in a quarry outside Chicago with visibility ranging from 1 to 20 feet, I'm not even sure what my eyes would do with 60 feet of viz let alone 100+. Guess the best way to enjoy 60 is to spend lots of time in our quarry beforehand.
Thanks again for providing the info. That's why SB is regular reading material.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom