Tortola BVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffromonty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have some friends heading to Tortola for a vacation early next year, is there any diving available or is it all on other islands? Thanks

On Tortola as in off the beach? Not so much. From Wikipedia:
There is virtually no shore diving in the British Virgin Islands

Bvimap7.gif

Much of the better diving is off the other islands but they're not that far away. The Rhone is across the channel off Salt Island, it's the signature BVI wreck. Norman, Cooper, Ginger Islands all have multiple dives nearby. The Dogs are another cluster of small islands just north of Tortola. We ran all over between the islands and no boat ride was even an hour long. The Chikuizen is a little farther out but conditions have to be good to even drop on it.

Options are here: BVI Scuba - Tortola is a very long island so they should select someone near where they're staying.

We are headed there next summer and renting our own boat to cruise around the islands. had a friend go last year on same trip and said diving was great. Probably did some of the spots listed above as they didn't stay overnight on same island twice.

The BVI has plenty of diving, but from Tortola it normally means getting on a boat - usually using one of the local dive shops. I recommend Sail Caribbean Divers. If you are visiting BVI on a charter yacht (as many visitors do) then you can rent gear and hit the sites yourself (although many people on charters will still rendez vous with local dive ops).

Lots of good advice on here:
Scuba diving in the British Virgin Islands travel guide - Wikitravel

They above posts have it right. No shore diving from Tortola, but it's not a long boat ride to awesome sites! I love diving in the BVI!

I have dove with dive BVI? They are a good operation. The Wreck of the Rhone is a world class wreck dive with a great story. I have done some ad hoc shore diving on Virgin Gorda. The boat diving is better but it was fun.

Back
Top Bottom