Diving in Puerto Rico vs. St. Thomas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marybeth42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey,

I'm thinking of planning a trip to either Puerto Rico or St. Thomas this February and was wondering if anyone had dove both and had a strong favorite.

Also, any recommendations on dive shops in either location would be super helpful! Maybe some clean, cheap hotels nearby, too.

Thanks.

For PR, rent a car, head south to La Paguera and call up Kiko @ Paradise snorkel/scuba.

Nice boat, great staff and Cachi will zip you around to see whatever you want to see in his ocean backyard. That's the best diving (operator and dive sites) I've done around the island.

Also head to the west side to Rincon to dive at Desecheo for a day, it's like swimming in an aquarium.

BRad

What's the diving like at Vieques? Does anyone know? And also, if you do know are you also able to share the name of a recommended op, as Brad has done for Puerto Rico? TIA

If you do a forum search for St. Thomas, you'll find some threads since this destination is a very common cruise ship stop where people dive, and some dive there even outside of cruises. Admiralty Dive Center (which I've had a good time with a couple of days at separate times) and Red Hook appear reputable.

Several years ago I dove with Sea Ventures out of Fjardo, Puerto Rico, one day and that was okay. If you do a forum search for Puerto Rico and get into some old threads, I think you'll find it's seen as having potential, but doesn't seem to be one of the top tier dive destinations so far.

Here's an old thread on Diving in Puerto Rico that's well worth a look; scroll down to read what ginovega had to say about it.

Out of all the Caribbean islands, how did you arrive at these 2 for your choices? Is this a trip mainly for another reason, and diving is secondary? I ask because knowing the back story of what you plan to do might help sway the decision.

Richard.

Vieques I do not know, but St Croix is very very good.

If your main interest is diving I was not impressed with either. If diving is just a secondary interest then both are about the same; focus on your primary interest. Renting a car is a necessity in PR; St Thomas not so much.

For Diving I would look at Roatan, Utila or Bonaire.

Diving is the primary reason for the trip. !! It's hard to gauge what you're going to get before having been there, so that's why I'm looking for any opinions.

Neither of the places are set in stone, just figured it might be nice to skip customs (since I'm traveling from the US), fly direct, and flights seem fairly cheap.

I'm pretty sure there's some affordable options to Cozumel from the Chicago area. I've heard Apple Vacations mentioned. It's mostly drift diving so fairly easy and in the top 5 best diving locations in the Caribbean. Reasonable accommodations in town and a few other places. Some friends stayed at Villablanca Garden Hotel a few years ago - room/breakfast/diving was about $800/wk. - there's 2-3 dive operators in the same area. Downtown is about 2 miles from there.

My personal opinion of St. Thomas is it's kind of meh...the diving is maybe 6-7 out of 10 and Charlotte Amalie is a little seedy in some areas. All the resorts are fenced/gated - ours had razorwire on top of the fence. And it's one of the better known ones. We never found any affordable accommodations there either - everything I'd stay at looked like $100/nt. With a car you could stay out on the East End - there's several resorts out there - Bolongo Bay even has it's own dive operator. Red Hook where some of the others are based - and most of the restaurants - is a few minutes drive away. So is anything in the Sapphire Beach area. An interesting option there is the car ferry runs over to St. John hourly - you can also dive/snorkel there. In fact there's more shore diving there than on St. Thomas. Everything on St. John seemed more upscale though. Cruz Bay Watersports or Low Key also do day trips to the BVI's from there - passport required.

I agree with Oldbear - better diving is Bonaire or the Bay Islands. Both are harder to get to from Chicago though IIRC - I have friends there.

One Bonaire option might be to connect with the Houston red-eye on Friday night or something thru Atlanta. In February the seasonal flights should still be running. Bonaire is reasonable if you stay off the water. Some of that is not too expensive either but many of the oceanfront dive resorts are priced accordingly. A place like the Dive Hut in town bundles room/shore diving/breakfast for around $700/wk - it's pretty basic. Convenient to restaurants but a car would probably be needed. Somewhere like Buddy Dive is more but your chances of finding other divers are better - or you can boat dive there as well. The Divi Flamingo or Carib Inn are options in town - most of the north side dive resorts are 1-2 miles north of town. The Divi will be doing major renovations while you'd be there though also next year.

if you're solo, Bonaire is a pretty safe place generally. Utila also since it's pretty small and almost all the activity is in town. Roatan has some seedier spots but you won't generally be at those anyway. Stay at an AI resort like Cocoview and they'll pick you up at the airport also. You stay/eat/dive there all week then return. It's actually not the most convenient location for seeing other parts of Roatan but all access is via boat and they have security. Anthony's Key on the north side is simllar, a little nicer/pricier and 5mins. to the West End if you get bored of eating there. All the shops/nightlife/other restaurants are generally in the West End - 5mins. away. Nicest beach is 2 miles from there in West Bay - that's about 40mins. from Cocoview though.

If you are solo most of the dive resorts on Bonaire have a single supplement add-on - at a couple it's substantial. Cocoview does also - it's $200. One other option in Roatan is to rent a weekly apt. - a place like Posada Arco Iris is in town, there's activity there till late at night since it's fronted by their outdoor restaurant and everything is walking distance. A dozen dive shops, one market is next door and all the nightlife is a little further down. a 1br apt. with kitchen goes for around $60/day high season - it's decent but a little older. There's quite a few other options in that area also - including 2 hostels. Here's more info: http://www.coconuttreedivers.com/roatan.html

To get to Utila you either fly into Roatan and puddle jump over or fly into San Pedro Sula and do the same. SPS isn't really very safe at night though so try to schedule everything the same day. Either island but especially Utila is all boat diving so factor in those costs also. Utila is a big DM training/backpacking destination so there's a lot of cheap accommodations in town - many bundled with dive packages.

The only thing I know about Puerto Rico is all the better diving is not in the San Juan area. Even the cruise dive operator shuttles people to La Parguera IIRC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom