SSI Referral in Antigua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My fiancee and I are going to Antigua in February for our honeymoon, and need to find an SSI referral program for the open water dives. Does anyone know of a dive shop that is affiliated with SSI? All of the shops I am finding are PADI.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks.

My suggestion would be to ask your referring SSI instructor to help you with this. He or she should be happy to help to make sure that the SSI process is followed.

PADI shops can take your referral, but PADI uses a different process. SSI uses what is called a universal referral system. In this system, you can get certified by a different agency, but the credit for the certification goes to SSI and the instructor who originally referred you. Thus, if you found a NAUI shop on Antigua, they could do the certification dives for you and you would still be SSI certified, and your home SSI instructor would get credit for that certification.

PADI does not officially support that process, though. They believe there is a problem with an instructor and agency certifying a diver without seeing that diver actually perform in the open water. In the PADI system, the PADI shop can accept the referral, but the certification will be PADI because it is a PADI instructor who supervised and observed the certification dives.

PADI does, however, allow individual shops and instructors to use the universal system if they choose. It is therefore possible that a PADI shop in Antigua will be willing to do the OW dives with you and still have you become an SSI-certified diver under the universal system. You will need to check ahead, though, to be sure that is what will happen.

I think you can see why your SSI instructor should be motivated to help you with this.

---------- Post added December 24th, 2014 at 11:05 AM ----------

Ultra Marine says it offers SSI instruction:

Ultramarine Club Colonna (North)
Sunsail's Club Colonna Resort
Hodges Bay
Antigua
West Indies
Tel: +1 (268) 463 3483
Fax: +1 (268) 560 5062
E-mail: andrewm@ultramarinecaribbean.com

Ultramarine St. James Club (South East)
Mamora Bay

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Ultramarine exists any more...neither does Club Colonna.
Relocation in progress
We are currently in the process of introducing new Diving & Snorkelling Services across the region. Services in Antigua will re-commence in 2010 with the opening of a new purpose built facility. For further information and assistance please go to the Contact Us section of our site.

Colonna Resort - Antigua Forum - TripAdvisor
Oh ok, I did manage to find something about the Elle Colonna Resorts closing in May 2010.

I really wish there was a process that required businesses to close down their websites when they go dark. Mamora Bay Divers is the PADI shop at the St. James Club now also - the 2nd location listed above - http://www.stjamesclubantigua.com/things-to-do/water-sports/swim-dive-a-snorkel.html in case you're headed there.

I'm SSI and dive in the Caribbean annually. The only two SSI shops I'm aware of in the region are Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia and Dive BVI on Tortola. A quick check of the SSI Dive Center locator seems to confirm that. SSI Scuba Schools International - Locator

Capture.jpg

if you found a NAUI shop on Antigua, they could do the certification dives for you and you would still be SSI certified
Check with Jolly Dive - http://jollydive.com/

Learn SCUBA diving from our professional team of PADI and NAUI certified SCUBA instructors at our diving school

Under the referral process - someone correct me if I'm wrong - I think an SDI/TDI or PDIC shop would be able to also. Not sure if you can find one of those there either though. http://wrstc.com/agency.php?country=usa

Last edited:
I really wish there was a process that required businesses to close down their websites when they go dark.
It's worse than that. I did not get the address from their web site. I got it from what appears to be a current site listing Caribbean dive operations.

---------- Post added December 24th, 2014 at 11:51 AM ----------

Checking again, I found that a couple shops say they offer both PADI and NAUI instruction. Shops that do both will probably be able to take care of your SSI referral for you.

---------- Post added December 24th, 2014 at 11:55 AM ----------

There really aren't many dive shops on Antigua, and that is because Antigua is not generally considered a diving hot spot. My wife and I went there on our honeymoon long ago, and we loved it. It is the first place I ever snorkeled, and I loved it so much I got a bad sunburn on my back. I imagine it is still a great place to visit, but it apparently lacks the high quality reefs found in places that are more commonly seen as diving destinations.

We always stay at the Sandals resorts mainly because the diving is included and they are all PADI shops but they will accept the referral if you happen to be staying there. The water in Antigua is beautiful but it is definitely not a dive hot spot but still worth going. It didn't have the marine life I was hoping for but it was still a good week of diving. Best of luck and enjoy!

Good reply, but Ultra Marine has been closed for 6 + years.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2014 at 03:43 PM ----------

Hi
I live in Antigua. No SSI shops here. You can however arrange for a PADI instructor to sign your forms and return them to your SSI instructor. Not approved by PADI, but allowable by SSI. Email me if you need help, I know a lot of the instructors here and can explain the process to them. Worse comes to worse I am a NAUI universal instructor and can sign your forms for you.
bentdiver@live.com I will just have to jump in the water with you on your last dive.

Cheers
Bryan

Good reply, but Ultra Marine has been closed for 6 + years.

---------- Post added December 29th, 2014 at 03:43 PM ----------

Hi
I live in Antigua. No SSI shops here. You can however arrange for a PADI instructor to sign your forms and return them to your SSI instructor. Not approved by PADI, but allowable by SSI. Email me if you need help, I know a lot of the instructors here and can explain the process to them. Worse comes to worse I am a NAUI universal instructor and can sign your forms for you.
bentdiver@live.com I will just have to jump in the water with you on your last dive.

It is approved by PADI--they just don't recommend it and would prefer that instructors follow their official procedure.

Back
Top Bottom