Barbados, any opinions??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSuzy

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering a possible dive trip to Barbados in July, but I haven't heard a lot about the diving there. Has anyone been there lately? Look forward to any suggestions, recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Recently, no, but when I was there in 2003 I did several dives. Over all it was ok, vis is poor (20-50'), reefs were moderate for color and life. Lots of turtles and a few seahorses in the bay. One great dive was the "stavronika", one of the best wrecks I've done. The island itself is nice, friendly and easy to get around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Undercurrent is a paid subscription service, but they have some content free (I suppose as a 'sampler') - here an article with (scroll down) a review of Hightide Watersports and Gibbs Bay Inn in Barbados, from the Sept. 2011 issue. I found this bit from the article interesting:

Barbados is an ideal spot for a family vacation, especially when there are nondivers. It is one of the few Caribbean islands with a large variety of well-developed possibilities, so you don't have to feel guilty about diving.

I've not dove there. I've visited twice, on cruise ship stops. A sea turtle snorkel via catamaran was fun. Fellow passengers were hitting the rum (no added charge) hard on the way back and talking about seeing 'fairies.' At 1st I thought they were drunk (and I still think that), but on closer examination, there were 'flying fish' popping out of the water & zipping along (a strange thing to see).

Here's an old Jan. 2014 thread on Barbados Diving that discusses it a bit.

Sort of unrelated; when viewed from a cruise ship, I found St. Martin and Barbados to be the most beautiful shore view Caribbean islands I've seen, factoring in the gorgeous look of the ocean. I'd give the nod to St. Martin, but it's close. Of the islands themselves I've seen, without regarding how the ocean coloration around them looks, maybe the lushly rain forested St. Lucia.

Richard.

I was there about a year ago, I only did two dives but wasn't very impressed. Lots of coral but not much other life, saw a turtle and that was it.

Got certified there. On our first fun dive we saw a fish pot full of half dead fish. Not much else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Barbados is amazing tons of stuff to see turtles fish eels coral and ship wrecks all over. And the stuff to see on land id great too. I had a reef 20 feet from my hotel beach to snorkel every day too. Maybe the island has bad spot I wasn't ever at one. Lots of places would have 10 or more turtles all playing and swimming with you. My wife was scared from the huge amount of fish that would swarm her in the water and constantly having turtles come up to look into her eyes and play. The cement plant and the Stavronika are great dives too. Last time I was there was in 2010. If you go make sure to tour all the old churches also

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I got certified in Barbados last year...was great. I had my daughter diving with me too, and my little boy was often snorkelling up top while we did our check dives!

The water is warm, people are too. Plenty to see underwater in Carlisle Bay, the Hilton is right there too (that's where our dive outfit was located, Barbados Blue, they were great).

We stayed at the Crane.

We couldn't do the Stav as it was too deep for us newbies, but heard from everyone it was an absolute must.

We loved it, but we weren't there just to dive.

I was diving in Barbados in December and had a great time. I went with Barbados Blue, located at the Hilton. the site I really liked was Carlisle Bay Marine Park. more than half a dozen wrecks; less than 50 feet of depth and tons of sealife.

I also went to Asta Reef. more turtles than I could count.

great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom