Please Help me Identify These Creatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pembina

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I took these photos on our recent trip to Dominica. I can't find them in any of my fish ID books.

This blue/grey guy was hiding inside a barrel sponge
unidified12.jpg

And this one looks like a carpet of eggs

unidified8.jpg

The second photo is an anemone, almost certainly a Sun Anemone, Stichodactyla helianthus. These are very common in Dominica. The fish unclear because of the photo's angle. Possibly a Black Hamlet.

I think the first one is a soap fish, normally found lying on the floor

A Soapfish is certainly a possibility, though it seems to lack the Soapfish streamlined body shape. I almost looks like an strangely colored Glasseye Snapper. Check the jawline.

Mystery solved, THANKS to ALL!!
diversteve... I think you might be correct. I think it is 2 fish and not just one which is why it was looking so weird to me.

As a marine biologist, I fail to see two fish in the first photo (but I do need new glasses). To me it looks like one fish with the posterior part of the dorsal fin a little twisted (like my mind).

As a marine biologist, I fail to see two fish in the first photo (but I do need new glasses). To me it looks like one fish with the posterior part of the dorsal fin a little twisted (like my mind).
i agree with dr bill - 1 fish only! - the soapfish has a distinctive "abnormal' body contour. The soapfish is one of my divebuddy's favourites.

I think it is the ocean's dumbest fish. We often see it hunting at night in Bonaire using our lights (tarpon substitute). general hunting tactic appears to involve randomly jamming it's head under coral heads and blindly bumping into things.

this link Greater Soapfish - Rypticus saponaceus - Soapfishes - - Tropical Reefs gives a good shot of the body shape.

Back
Top Bottom