Tobago questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Why am I having so much trouble finding good info about diving and accommodations on Tobago. Yeaes ago I've long believed the word time be that the diving is some of the best in the Caribbean, yet there's virtually no discussion here or elsewhere on the net. I need info quickly for imminent trip. Please advise whether it's best to just go to Speyside area and dive from there or if it's worth splitting the week up as to one end of the island and another. I'm also seeking advice for accommodations and dive ops. TIA

I also found it difficult to get diving information about Tobago before I visited last October. The problem is that the tourist area and most accommodations are in the south around Crown Point. The better diving is at Speyside in the northeast. Although the island is small, it takes 1 1/2 hours to drive from Crown Point to Speyside. There are no full sized hotels per se in Speyside. There are 3 small accommodations and several very small guesthouses. The largest is Blue Waters and has separate, gated grounds with its own pier. The other two hotels are closer to the center part of town. They are situated between the mountain, the road, and then the Atlantic. Both have dive shops on site, but they drive you down to the town pier were their boats are located. I stayed at Manta Lodge and dove with Tobago Divers. The lodge is an old style "dive inn". Room had excellent a/c and was comfortable, but had no t.v. or phone. It did have Wi-Fi. Owners treated us like family and we often ate meals with them and their dogs in the open, un-airconditioned dining/bar area. Diving was also very personalized. Caveat: The owner had just bought a new boat, but it was not set up for diving. Contrary to expectations for that time, visibility was 50-100 feet, currents were mild to moderate, and weather was perfect.

Hey ChillyinCanada!
It has been over 15 years since I have been in Tobago but if I was going with you, I would insist on the drive to Speyside. We dove out of Crown point and some place else and it was nice but the diving in the North East part of the island was fantastic. The drift diving was fast. The gorgonians and corals were huge and beautiful. My heart is getting excited just remembering how much I enjoyed diving there. I would stay at one of the places on the beach with its own dive operation. We stayed at Blue Waters and it was great but that was a long time ago so I recommend you listen to others advice about lodging. I do however encourage packing binoculars for some crazy bird watching when you aren't in the water.
Have a great adventure!

JFYI, I have learned that Manta Lodge is closed for renos. News like thst on Caribbean islands often leaves me wondering if the work will ever be done.

Not sure if this post is too late. I would recommend the northern part of Tobago, either Speyside or Charlotteville. There are several options for accommodations as well as dive operators. I did my DSD at Blue Waters Inn in Speyside and got hooked on diving immediately. Try Tobago: The definitive Tobago tourist and holiday guide for more info. I'll be taking some students to Tobago for AOW training next month. It's some of the best diving in the Caribbean.

Currents at Speyside were vying for top spot over the Maldives, when I was there this spring!! I stayed at Speyside Inn and dove with Manta Dives. Manta Lodge may never reopen. Speyside Inn was very comfortable, no television and if you're addicted to internet, better bring a very strong WiFi booster with you.

Visibility was poor for most of my stay but on the last dive day, viz cleared up and the currents calmed. What I saw thst day was wondrous to behold. Huge and incredibly numerous vase sponges, and carpets of damselfish so dense it seemed the bottom was moving. If you love drift diving you're going to love the diving at Speyside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom